Disney Wonder Cruise Review by lovely_serenity

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Disney Wonder Cruise Review by lovely_serenity
Disney Wonder
Disney Wonder
Member Name: lovely_serenity
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: 10A
See More About: Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
        Under 3 5.0
        7-9 5+
        16+ 4.0

Ship Facts: Disney Wonder Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Wonder Deck Plans
An Excellent first cruise with Disney
This was my 6th cruise I've been on and I must say, I was very impressed. Being a Disney fan and all, I jumped at the opportunity to travel on DCL when it presented itself. I travelled with both my parents and my 2 siblings, it was for our family trip. Something I thought was pretty nice was the Sail Away Party on deck. There were a few performances, one by crew members and another by Mickey and friends. They then had a count down where. After arriving at 1, streamers popped and the ships horn sounded with "When You Wish Upon A Star". Cute way to countdown that you're going on vacation :).

Stateroom:

Very elegantly decorated, included quite a few hidden Mickeys here and there. Bed was very soft and comfortable. There was sufficient space to store our belongings and the room was quite spacious. It was nice have a couch in our cabin. The bathroom was a good size and their personal products for skin and hair were very good.

Food:

Upon entering the ship, we were given a Key To The World Card which would grant us access to our staterooms. Listed on the KTTWC was the order in which you would dine at each of the main dining rooms. This was fascinating to us, as this was the first cruise line that offered a special Rotational Dining where you would change restaurants every night and your servers would follow you. The quality of the food was excellent at all 3 restaurants (Animator's Palate, Parrot Cay & Triton's) but I preferred Triton's. We experienced lunch at the buffet, as well as in Triton's. The buffet food was so-so and presented little space for anyone to walk by. Also often overly crowded during the day. The restaurant had excellent food. Good choices and top quality. Breakfast at the restaurant was pretty good. Less amount of choices, but good nonetheless. The thing that stood out above all were the special nights (formal) where they served lobster, king crab and so on. Disney had the BEST quality and size for the special nights. They had the biggest lobster tails I had ever had. The meat itself was the size of my hand completely stretched out. It was served with garlic butter sauce, yum! The king crab legs were just as excellent. Large and cut horizontally open for your convenience. Served with the same butter sauce. There was one night where they had a special chocolate extravaganza and displayed 3 long tables full of various cakes, desserts and a chocolate fountain. Sugar overload! I thought the desserts during dinner were tasty, but could have had more variety. All the various steaks I had were all cooked to perfection. Meals were delicious and plentiful, leaving me almost unable to finish my food. On an assigned morning, you are also (says on KTTWC) told to go to the Character Breakfast where you get a free photo op with every single character there (~10) while enjoying breakfast. Normally costs ~$100 a person at the theme park. Don't miss out! Room service had very good quality food, good late night meal :) haha . The food on deck was pretty good as well. Ice cream machines had good soft serve you put onto your own cone via nozzle. Chicken tenders were yummy and pretty good quality wise. Fries were alright, usual, pizza was okay. Only ship with complimentary soda, machines were located on upper deck. Had pop, hot chocolate and tea.

Ship:

Elegantly incorporated Disney themed decorations in the ship's carvings. Very beautiful, leaving me unable to spot much signs of aging. Easy to navigate through after some walking around. There if a deck midship that reaches all the way around the ship, very nice when the weather is good and also a good spot to check out the glaciers we visit. Cute pictures of disney hidden here and there, all incorporated into the ship's design.

Entertainment:

Very nice to have all the Disney characters (just like in Disneyland) be roaming the ship randomly. I once came up some stairs, on my way to the sports bar, when I ran into Goofy! Provided a nice surprise photo op. Many characters are scheduled daily to appear in the Atrium to take professional photos with guests. They main cast also appears on glacier days and port days in special Alaskan costumes. Very cute!

The shows that were nightly were amazing. All broadway style and presented beautifully. Similar to plays but very high quality ones you would pay to see. Best entertainment I've ever seen on cruise ship. One night, we watched the 3D premier of Cars 2. Very interesting!

The movie theatre always has the newest movies. Very updated. If you're lucky, there could even be a movie premier on the ship and you could see a movie before it's even out in theatres! (Depending on hour timing)

The deck parties were very nice. It was raining the night of the Pirate one so it was held in the Atrium. Very entertaining, the Disney characters sang and danced at both of them. There was one for the going away party aswell.

Ports:

As expected of Alaska, not much to do or see. Very touristy and everyone tries to get you to buy their jewelry. Cute stores with stuffed animals and Alaskan souvenirs, the usual. I liked it, ate lunch in the main dining room before heading off the ship (avoid cluster of cruisers). A very relaxed type of cruise where the ports don't take up too much energy. Bought quite a few knick knacks, enjoyed myself.

Other:

Read into much detail beforehand (being a vacation planning nut) and found nice tips here and there. Dropped off a tote bag (per cabin) and had it returned into my cabin on the last night after dinner signed by all the characters. Very nice souvenir to bring home. Another thing I liked were the nighttime chocolates left on my pillow at night. They had a picture of Sleepy from Snow White (: adorable.

Or ship only contained a small handfull of children since it was Alaska, so the ship was always quite quiet. They probably just all stayed in the kids clubs, there couldn't have been over 100 kids. Rarely saw too many running around. If you want the same excellent food, service and entertainment I experienced, I would strongly suggest you cruise off season at a destination not too hot (kids like hot weather) and on cruises atleast 7 days long (kids can't afford many days). We cruised on the last week of August, right before school started so most kids would be done vacationing already. Had a marvelous time on the Wonder and would easily recommend it to others. I will definitely cruise with DCL in the future as long as the price is right. (Disney cruises are somewhat pricey usually).

Publication Date: 04/01/13