Celebrity Xpedition Cruise Review by Fog's Inn: Disappointed with dining options

Fog's Inn
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Xpedition South America & Antarctica Cruises

Disappointed with dining options

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Other

The experience is amazing. The comments and reflections by others adequately sum up the experience. I was impressed on the life boat drill. In my many years of cruising it was perhaps the best that I have experienced. Unlike the larger cruise ships, they had life boat space for all passengers and ample rafts in the event that a life boat could not be launched.

Our cabin was on deck four -- the same as the lounge/bar area which was convenient as there are no elevators on the ship. The air conditioning on decks three and four is very good vs. the larger suites on decks 5 & 6 which have more glass (remember you are in the tropics on the equator) and more roll. There was a library in the lounge area -- but the books on the Galapagos were under lock and key. Go figure.

However, there are some areas which could provide for a better experience. The on deck galley the Beagle Grill was the greatest disappointment. The hamburgers were spiced and were awful. There More was no salad bar and the grill was closed in the evening. It would be a great addition to the dining experience to be able to dine on a limited menu alfresco on the deck in the evening. One night could be pizza night, the next grilled chicken etc. Seating could be limited and there was adequate cover for four tables which would be protected from rain showers. It took hours to feed the passengers ( typically more than two ) in the "formal" dining room. On the next to last night I requested a set menu on deck for four of us. We were attended to by the bar tender. It was pure magic! The next night I observed the captain and his staff following our lead. SilverSea will initiate service in the Galapagos with a new ship this October. On most of their ships they offer alfresco dining using a "hot rock" on each table for grilling steak, chicken or sea food when weather permits. I can only assume that they will offer an alfresco dining experience. Although the Silver Sea base price is almost $1,600 more, I would chose their standard room over comparatively priced upper level rooms and suites on the Celebrity X. SilverSea
provide serious competition in this luxury market. We took the post trip trip to Peru to see the Inca sites and Cuzco. There was too much air and bus travel.
I would omit the trip and return home after the cruise portion. Less

Read more Celebrity Xpedition cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Xpedition Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Xpedition Premium Stateroom Vista Deck (4) 416

Our cabin was ample and had great cool air. Being on the main activity floor was a plus as the ship doesn't have elevators. Upper level cabins have more roll.