Island Escape Cruise Review by vashti234

Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: IN
See More About: Island Escape Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Island Escape Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Island Escape Deck Plans
Not my idea of a cruise
I'll start with positives - the crew and the ports of call.

The negatives -

The food - lukewarm or cold both in the Beachcomber and the other dining room. When we pointed this out, for about the third time, we were told it could be taken away and heated. I wanted hot food not reheated. Bland and monotonous, same dishes repeated again and again. If I never see a chicken leg again I'll be happy.

Some people were comparing the food to school meals. It wasn't even up to that standard.

The only good meal we had in the thirteen days was in the Oasis restaurant, which cost extra. The service and the food was first class - which is what I expect every day on a cruise

The all inclusive package included only about 25 per cent of the drinks available. The spirits were so bad I'm sure I could have drunk a bottle of rum with no ill effects (I didn't). Drinks and snacks in the cabin were not included -a can of Red Bull was over £5 and a mini tube of Pringles was £3.90.

No free coffee at the pool area (it is an all inclusive ship). To get a coffee one had to go to the Beachcomber and then carry it back, past the spa and through the gym and one extremely heavy door. Health and safety was obviously not a priority.

The same hazards were obvious in the Beachcomber, with people wandering around looking for tables while carrying food (perhaps that's why it was cold) and hot drinks.

The theatre -I think it seated about 350 so even though each show was on twice one had to be there about an hour before to get a seat. We only saw three shows in the thirteen days.

The cabins - no hair dryers, chipped sinks, cracked tiles, the smallest cabin I have ever been in my life. Some people we met were in three different cabins because there was water leakage. A common sight was big industrial style machines drying out carpets.

The price of the excursions. The one to Rome cost £84. Minimises at the port were taking six people to Rome for 27 euros each. This included a commentary and stops at all the sites of interest.

I have been on all of Thomsons ships but this was at a different low level. Perhaps it was telling that on at least three occasions we were told that the island escape was not a Thomsons ship.

Publication Date: 03/29/13