Oriana Cruise Review by nic104: Fabulous First Cruise

Fabulous First Cruise

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Other

We were on board Oriana from 18th - 28th March 2013. Never cruised before and we went as a surprise for my in-laws, who were celebrating their 40th Anniversary by going on this cruise and also my father in-law's 60th birthday. They were pleasantly surprised when we found them at afternoon tea in the Conservatory!

We traveled as a couple along with my brother in-law and his wife. Arriving on the ship we thought it was very grand and were amazed at the size (having never even really seen a cruise ship up close before!) As we arrived fairly late (to not ruin the surprise) our cabin was ready straight away. The cabin was big enough, clean and our cabin steward was friendly and helpful. Food on board was delicious, we ate in the Oriental - late sitting and once we had explained the situation at dinner we were moved so that we could all sit together, very accommodating. Also ate in the conservatory and Al Fresco regularly. We tried all the bars, our favorite for pre-dinner More drinks was Andersons. Saw a couple of the theatre acts, Headliners and Lomax Brothers. I went to one film at the cinema, though my husband saw a couple. We also went to the 'Audience with Michael Stark', which was very good.

Unfortunately we only used the pool/spa once as weather was not fantastic, but it didn't spoil our holiday at all.

Ports visited:

La Coruna - Very pretty, lots of lovely shops (I like shopping).We wandered round on our own rather than booking an excursion.

Casablanca - We booked on an excursion 'Portugese Connections' which was a two hour coach trip each way to El Jadida. Very interesting tour which we all enjoyed. Having been to this port now I think I would always go on an excursion rather than travel on our own.

Cadiz - Lovely place, we walked around for a while then got on one the bus tours. Shops were closed due to it being Palm Sunday, they had a parade in the afternoon. Weather fantastic and we all got sunburn.

Other ports visited are listed in the port section below.

Fellow passengers were of an older age group than us but we spent one evening chatting to a 93 year old ex navy gentleman who was interesting and good company and overall found passengers friendly. Only thing annoying was an elderly couple at dinner who moaned loudly about everything, every night at dinner!Felt sorry for the waiters as they work very hard and are very polite.

All in all, disappointed to have to disembark, I would have loved a longer cruise, however, most workplaces don't allow such extended leave for cruising so maybe when we retire (a long time away yet). Less

Read more Oriana cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oriana Review >>

Cabin review: Oriana Inside Twin Cabin A Deck A205

Cabin A205 was large enough for an inside cabin, clean and comfortable. We were worried the Launderette might be noisy (next door) but it was quiet. The bed was very comfortable.

We enjoyed Gibraltar, though we only saw shops this time - will visit the rest on our next visit. Bargains in duty free on Alcohol and cigarettes (though limits are quite strict when cruising from Southampton). We had lunch in a pub in the Irish street, I think it was called 'Cutters'? Food nice and quick service. We were in Gibraltar until 11pm but we went back on board at 3pm.

Lisbon was lovely, very pretty buildings and streets with tiled pavements. Nice shops with interesting things for sale (I bought a cork handbag), we did quite a lot of walking (very hilly) as the queue for the huge elevator was too long.
Read 281 Lisbon Reviews