Carnival Glory Cruise Review by stevekinmd

Cruise Date: December 2012
Cabin Category: 8C

Too Many Surprises....
Background Information:

I am 49 and have cruised 7 cruises prior to this one. I have cruised with Carnival twice prior to this cruise. 2 days before the cruise received an e-mail that there was going to be a "Special Interest Group" which ended up being a Drag Queen Themed cruise. Carnival did offer me a full refund, but with such short notice, did not have much choice in the matter. I called Carnival, but was told would be 300 to 400 cruiser and would not interfere with ships activities. Once the voyage began, it was soon to be discovered the 300 to 400 cruiser was more like 700 to 1000 or 1/3 of the passengers.

Hotel Info:

Sailing out of Port of Miami, but always arrive the day before, and prefer Fort Lauderdale. When in Fort Lauderdale, I always stay at the Marriott Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach. The hotel is located right on beach and convenient to plenty of shopping, nightlife and restaurants. I would not call the hotel inexpensive at $150 a night, but well worth with the top notch Service and Amenities.

Ship Info:

Carnival Glory was two week out of Dry Dock with the Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades, but was rather hard to believe this with all the problems that were encountered. Each port that was visited had at least a 2 hour delay. Most of the hand sanitizer on board were empty most of the time. Noticed several lights in the common area burnt out and needed replacing. Also notice on several occasion that renovation were still being conducted during the voyage even though it just came out of dry dock two weeks earlier.

Activities/Entertainment:

I don't know if it was because of the "Special Interest Group" or cut backs, but there was only 2 stage productions and it were replayed twice during the voyage. As for activities on the sun deck, the Seaside Theater was used for nothing more than advertisement most of the time and, at night it seem to be "Latin Night" every night. There was guitarist who performed daily, and was one of the highlights for the entertainment. As for the Bars, most of the time they were over crowded with the "Special Interest Group" and felt very much out of place. The Comedy Club upgrades, as part of Fun Ship 2.0, was great addition, when the comedian for the night was good, which ended up being very inconsistent.

Embarkation/Disembarkation

Upon leaving port, the voyage was delayed 2 hours prior to boarding, because of something that happen on the prior voyage. Once we did board, we were delayed another 4 hour due to reported propulsion problems, which seem to linger throughout the entire voyage. As for leaving the ship at the end of the voyage, the process was very smooth and very organized.

Service:

General Service: Girlfriend encountered an elevator that someone got sick in, and never got cleaned up. Hand sanitizer was empty in many places. Found dirty dishes in the hallway, almost all the time. We encountered a few plumbing access doors, that were left open.

Bar Service: There was several occasions that drinks were ordered, and never received, but was still being charged for it. There was a very aggressive sales approach, which ended up coming off as not being real friendly. In the Dining Room, the bar tab was left open as long as possible, and one night, we were chased down on our way out for us to sign it.

Dining Room Service: We had a very good head waiter, that took care of me every night, but she had no support staff. As a result, her workstation was never supplied, and she had to leave her workstation several time during the meal to restock. As for her support staff, my girlfriend was wearing a lanyard she received from a Princess Cruise, and one of the support staff made the comment, "I wish I was on Princess". That comment sort of reflected the feeling for most of the Dining Room staff I encountered.

Club Service: My girlfriend is a smoker, and many a night we ended up in the Smoking Lounge. For a designated smoking area, we found on several occasions it had no ash trays. Were also found kids in the lounge smoking among the adults, and security walking in periodically not doing anything about it. We also found the lounge to be a place for Carnival Staff to get intoxicated when not working, and knew they were staff, when they still had the Carnival badge on.

Stateroom Service: There was many a time, when we left the room, and came back a few hours later and found the bed still not made up. There was many times where they knocked on the door, so they can come in and clean up. We ended up asking for fresh towels a few times. They never seem to catch up to our cabin schedule.

The food was below what we had had just a year earlier. With the addition of Fun Ship 2.0, they seem to cut back on availability. Guy's Burger Joint was nice, but you can only eat so many hamburgers, before it gets old. The Blue Iguana Catina was real nice, but had very limited hours. There not much food available after being on shore all day. The buffet had no variety and pretty much the same items every day. As for getting any food late night, there was very little, and what they did have, was never fresh. There was pizza station, but there was never anything available, but what there was, most of the time burnt or had to wait too long to get it. Food in the Dining Room was good, but may times cold, and many times took a long time to get it.

Summary:

This will be the last time I will ever cruise on Carnival. The overall experience was the worst cruise I have ever been on. The handling of the Special Interest Group, was not real fair with two days' notice. I ended up feeling like an outsider on a Gay Themed Cruise. With the addition of Fun Ship 2.0, it seemed they cut back on food and activities to compensate for the upgrades. The overall service was not good and most of the staff seemed very un-happy to be working for Carnival. Since I have been back from the cruise, , I have been getting phone calls every time I access their web site trying to book me on another cruise. Are they that desperate?

Publication Date: 03/29/13