Veendam Cruise Review by fice

Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Buenos Aires
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: E
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
A lot of penguins.....in the souvenirs shop.
This was my sixth cruise, from Buenos Aires to Santiago trough the freaking waters of Cape Horn, actually sea was mostly calm.

Embarking at BA took 2+ hours waiting, passengers of 3 ships had to pass migration controls, but finally got to our cabin and baggage was there.

The ocean view cabin was spacious, with a 3 seats couch convertible to bed. Having read in other review that the steward after the first night never returned the bed to sofa, I was direct about this topic with a tip on hand and we could enjoy our couch every day. This is important because the TV is on front of the sofa and is not pleasant to seat on a bed with your back on the wall.

Call ports were nice. We took a city tour in Montevideo, a short trip to a sea lions retreat in Puerto Madryn, a 50 miles trip to see 14 penguins in Punta Arenas, the souvenir shop had hundreds, we had a lunch with centollas, giant crabs, at Ushuaia, and a long trip around lake Llanquihue at Puerto Montt, the best part of the cruise were the Brujo and Amalia glaciers, and the fjords, not really fjords, but about 3 days sailing trough narrow straits with snow covered mountains on both sides. I live in a tropical country so this was my best attraction. Sea lions and dolphins accompanied the ship from Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt. Finally disembarking at Valparaiso was better than embarking.

We always read complains about food, I have a couple also, but in general I would say that in all our six cruises, dining was good, and perhaps after too many days out, I miss the home cooking. In this particular cruise, desserts were below average.

Cruise was almost full, but I counted only 6 children, few young couples and a lot of seniors. Entertainment was at basic level, but this ship has a big movies theater, popcorn included and perhaps a library larger than of my town. It is impressive, they have thousands of books, and many table games. Library was always crowded. Actually we had to struggle to get a table to assembly a puzzle. One night we left a puzzle partially assembled and the following morning a couple of sweet ladies were working on it.

We speak Spanish and expected at least to have one TV channel in that language. Actually we had the same cable channels that we see at home, but without subtitles, only the advertisements were in Spanish because the ship uses the same satellite for Latin America.

Overall was a nice cruise, good and friendly staff, I think we would take another cruise with Holland.

Publication Date: 03/29/13