Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by MrChocoholic: At least my kid liked it.

MrChocoholic
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

At least my kid liked it.

Sail Date: March 2013

My 10 year-old daughter chose this cruise because she wanted to eat real tacos in Mexico. We were limited to a 4 or 5 day because of another trip a day later. So, we booked this ship to Cozumel along with a cooking class and visits to a market and chocolate factory. She loved that.

As for the Liberty, she loved the movie characters aboard, decorating cupcakes, getting a "tattoo," the H20 Zone, air hockey in the extensive arcade, the buffet arrangement at Windjammers, gagaball with other kids her age in the youth program, pizza at Sorrento's, cocoa at Starbuck's (which she called "latte" to sound sophisticated), fries and a shake at Johnny Rocket's, both the well-produced ice show and the quite spectacular main show, a lot of the offerings at the Windjammer, the lobster and service in the MDR.

I loved...the overall concept and design of the ship itself. The art (mostly) except that which was being auctioned. The cleanliness and attention to detail exhibited by the More crew. The method used by the Front Desk Manager to deal with a justifiably irate passenger (me) who was sending a negative vibe throughout the entire line waiting for help at Guest Relations. The way she hustled me away from everyone else and into a private office to deal with me was brilliant. Cozumel.

Could not believe it took five trips to Deck Five to resolve issues with my card in the lock. Could not believe they wanted almost $5.00 for a little can of Clamato juice. Could not believe how much food I left on my plate(s) in search of something above mediocre. (Won't go into it but I'll never order the Eggs Benedict again.) Could not believe the $30.00 extra charge for lobster. Could not get in sync with the highly-regulated available hours to Flow-Ride and rock climb so we missed them. Could not believe the investment in an interactive television system that didn't work. Could not believe the cruise line does nothing to mitigate the suffering of those disembarking at the end of the cruise unless you're in a wheelchair. Could not believe two of the three detailed requests I'd made and confirmed concerning my stateroom were forgotten.

Next up: Holland-America. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Culinary Tour

(5)
My 10-year old daughter loves Mexican food. She chose this cruise because she wanted to eat tacos in Mexico. Found though TripAdvisor this lady named Josefina Gonzalez Luigi who runs cooking classes coupled with a shopping trip to the market. On top of it, she teaches the fine art of margarita mixing. Irresistible! Not offered through cruise line. Booked and paid deposit using PayPal at alfcozumel@hotmail.com. Easy. Grabbed a cab in port. We were very early and only had a small breakfast on the ship (horrible Eggs Benedict!) so we ate some pozole and guacamole at Restaurant Flamante before class. Mmmm. Delicious. Then Josefina met us at her door and showed us the garden full of bougainvillea, banana and plantain trees, bright red annato plants, nopal cactus. We saw the spectacle of colors and sights that are a typical market as we shopped for the ingredients we'd need for the dishes we selected. Back in the kitchen and at the dining table we mashed, stirred, ground, talked, laughed, diced, sauteed, tasted, smelled, saw raw flowers turned into seasoning, were dazzled by the colors of the Yucatecan palate (pun intended), learned and had a wonderful experience. Because it was only the two of us, there was time for Josefina to arrange a private visit and tour of the Kaokao Chocolate factory which makes artesanal chocolate products. Amazing! The owners met us and engaged in lively discussion about the history and influence of chocolate from the New World on the old. Altogether an amazing day.