SuperStar Virgo Cruise Review by andypandy1: Good value and Good times

Good value and Good times

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Singapore

This was to be an introduction to cruising for my husband. We enjoyed the short itinerary which made it easy to fit into our busy lives. The cost was very reasonable and made better value by the balcony class cabin credit which we used towards all our drinks and some meals.
The cabins were comfortable although not as large as I had experienced on other cruise lines. We were surprised that there was no fridge in the cabin. Beds were very comfortable although we ended up with two single beds pushed together instead of a double which was a little uncomfortable. There is plenty of hanging, desk and drawer space and a nice size TV. There was little choice to watch on the TV and we also expected a channel with current movies or similar to watch.
The bathroom was small and almost cosy compared to other cruise lines but had everything that was required including toiletries and a hair dryer.
Ship communal areas were well decorated, very clean and pleasant. My only complaint is More that people are still allowed to smoke on-board and this made some areas smelly and unpleasant to visit or walk through. There seemed a lack of quiet areas that one could go and sit in during the day. Some very nice lounge areas were not open until later in the day and perhaps could have been better utilized earlier in the day for quiet areas or activities.
The restaurants were pleasant and the food was good although not 5 star. We ate in the main dining room, Pavilion Room and the Specialty Chinese restaurant as well as the casual bistro (breakfast and lunch only). They did not group people together to share tables as on other cruises I have been on and therefore it was difficult to meet people if you were not travelling with a group. It is a good idea though to be able to dine whenever you wish. Drinks were a reasonable price equivalent to bar prices here in Australia but we used our cabin credit almost entirely for these purchases.
Ports of call were good including Penang, Phuket and KL (Malacca) and Singapore.
Staff were wonderful from the cabin service staff to the chefs, front desk and waiters/bar staff. All were very well trained, friendly and helpful in every respect.
The mix of nationalities was fair considering the location in Asia and we saw no major problems as most seemed to mix with their own groups and enjoy certain areas of the ship.
I would rate the cruise 3+ stars overall only because I am comparing it to others that I have been on which were much classier in their food and cabin standards. It was very enjoyable and I would recommend for a short break. Less

Read more SuperStar Virgo cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's SuperStar Virgo Review >>

Cabin review: SuperStar Virgo 11576

small balcony compared to other ships I have been on. No fridge in cabin. Comfortable beds but not double (two singles put together). Bathroom small but had all the necessities. Some cabin noise in the early hours of the morning from the deck above.

A simple bus transfer to and from Chinatown. A local guide gave brief information on Chinatown on the way there but nothing else. An efficient and easy way to get into KL from Port Klang.

Harbourfront centre is large and makes embarkation and disembarkation easy and comfortable. After disembarkation we spent a few hours walking around the shopping centre and the nearby Vivo City before departing to the airport.