Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Lady Anna & Sir Troy

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Lady Anna & Sir Troy
Norwegian Jade
Norwegian Jade
Member Name: Lady Anna & Sir Troy
Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BC
See More About: Norwegian Jade Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Really Enjoyed the Jade and Would go Again
We were on the Jade March 6 -- 17, 2013. Ship: The Jade is the sister ship to Pearl, Gem, and Jewel. The overall flow inside of the ship is excellent, absorbing crowds easily with the exception of the Garden Buffet. The Hawaiian theme is pretty if a bit out of place on a European ship. Personally I would replace more of the decor since it continues to be used more in Europe. The ship was completely sold out with many of the third and fourth berths used for a group, so keep that in mind during this review.

Cabin: We had Cabin 9150, a handicapped balcony because of injuries I had sustained in a car accident, and I was in a wheelchair for part of the cruise. The cabin is the largest we have ever been in and we loved it! The bed was comfortable, but not great, linens were very nice. We only got two bathroom towels though, and it would have been nice to have a third. Other than that the stateroom steward, Charles, was incredible, always saying hello and sneaking into our room to tidy up where we weren't there. He even taught me to make a mouse from a washcloth.

The sofa was across from the bed and I really liked that arrangement. The color of the sofa -- purplish pink was wonderful. There were three large drawers for clothes by the desk. I noted that in addition to 4 clothes sized cubby holes inside the closet they had 6 clothes sized cubby holes outside of the closet immediately next to the bathroom door, and 6 bookshelf size cubby holes all from floor to 6' high. We had no problem finding room for all of our stuff. In a chair I could reach almost all the shelves.

The bathroom was well thought out with the small glass shelves for toiletries from about 1' from the floor to 4' high. Perfect if you are in a chair or not. The shower was small as we found the curtain (no doors) would often hit your legs while you were standing or sitting down to take a shower.

One nice feature of this cabin is the door to the balcony was automatic and you could fit a wheelchair through the door and onto the balcony. I couldn't have been happier!!

Dining: We went to the main dining room, Moderno's, Garden Buffet, Cagney's, and Sushi.

Main Dining Room: Beautiful and elegant, we found all of our entrees to be good and salmon was excellent. We almost always went with the specials which seemed to be the best. Favorites were -- Salmon, Chicken Kabobs, Spring Rolls, Raspberry Sorbet, Lemon Sorbet, Bread Pudding and Lobster. First day was slow and after that we had excellent service.

Garden Buffet -- Enjoyed breakfast here with waffles, eggs, sausage and juice. Not as much variety as they often repeated the same items at different stations and had the same selection every day. Lunch had good vegan indian food, otherwise was often repeated grill fare that I do not care for. Really missed the cold soups!! Loved the crepe station, choices were strawberries, nutella, blueberries, apple, whipped cream.

Moderno's -- Plenty of meat, soup was outstanding.

Cagney's -- As always filet mignon was excellent and accompaniments were good.

Sushi -- Liked the seaweed salad and edamame. Didn't care for the sushi.

Husband's biggest complaint was not having juice or milk or something other than ice tea later in the day. Most lines at least have lemonade. Overall this is the least amount of variety we've ever seen on a ship and we were on it for 10 days, could really use an improvement here.

Entertainment/Activities:

Main Stage shows ranged from mediocre to excellent. We enjoyed graffiti, Angels (the aerialists), and Elements (aerialists, dancers, escape artist). Could have skipped Showdown as ending was disappointing as the last two don't show down but sing together. Puppeteers were very talented but out of place.

Many of us grumbled that all the stuff we wanted to do was in the evening, there was little to do during the day and we had 3 sea days!! We read and enjoyed the spa, a lot.

Movies should be in a darker location, hard to see.

The guitarist, piano player, and band were fantastic. Easily my favorite part on the ship. It was so nice to hear good singing music and not the Caribbean blare.

Suite and Lattitude Cocktail Parties: Another of my favorites. Silvio, Orlando, and Misrod all chatted with us at the different parties and it was worth it to come on the ship just to hang out with them. They are so interesting, professional, courteous, and caring.

Spa: I enjoyed my spa time as best as I could. This was my biggest disappointment. They had the thalassotherapy pool jets set to 8 minutes, so by the time I was able to hobble onto the loungers I would get about 2 minutes of bubbles. Not well thought out. There was no conditioner, a huge draw back for me that I didn't anticipate. The sauna was kept at 82 degrees -- I checked every day, and the heated tile loungers felt cooler. I liked seeing the same people each day but it was impossible to relax as everybody wanted to chat it up like it was a lounge area. All in all I would go again though as I love being able to soak in a private hot tub without kids and cool down with their ice shower (about 60 degrees). They also personally wheeled me to/from the spa during the first few days so my husband could do his own thing and that was a huge benefit for us.

Ports -- I summed up briefly below.

I also want to say what made our trip special was the large group that we chatted with on the forums before hand. Getting to chat with such intelligent wonderful people throughout the cruise was great.

Embarkation/Disembarkation -- Embarkation was crazy, had a difficult time getting a wheelchair to get onboard. Disembarkation was a breeze.

Lastly the weather was beautiful for 7 of the 10 days, and miserable and raining for the other 3, 2 of which were sea days so not a big deal. Given a choice I would have done the March 27th cruise, but hubby couldn't be gone from work at the end of the month.

Publication Date: 03/28/13