Ruby Princess Cruise Review by mpjp522

Cruise Date: March 2013
Cabin Category: BB

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
Disappointed in Princess
Embarkation was smooth but the departure was tough. Many guest had the Novovirus and were quarantined and we were told that there were not enough staff on land to take us through immigration ...so it was delayed about an hour after we were scheduled. My sister, niece and brother were afflicted with the virus the night before....terrible...especially since it was their first cruise. The cabin had a good layout and our steward was attentive. Movies under the stars and the casino were nice. I liked the way the pools were spread out. The entertainment was not as good as Carnival or Royal Caribbean. The shows were only 30 minutes in length and talent was choppy and soupy at best.

We did anytime dinning but the service was inconsistent, the Meals were cold and the servers were disorganized. One night, my brother had his entire meal served in reverse. Another night I was told that I had to get my pasta before my salad because it came up first! Water glasses were not filled when emptied unless requested. The food was sub par and tasteless. The shrimp were mushy and tasted horrible. The beef wellington had a funny taste to it. The buffet had a lot of dishes to choose from, but tasted like cafeteria food. One night they had cabbage filled with cottage cheese and raisins.....it was very strange. I did not want to take a chance at the specialty restaurants thinking that all of the food came from the same Executive Chef. The pizza was OK. I have gone on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Holland America and the food was excellent. I thought Princess would be at least equal to or better since it is in a higher class of ships. We were very unhappy with the food.

The boat could not stop in Princess Cay because of the rough water. St. Marten, was nice. We especially enjoyed the Dutch side as you can shop, have a meal, drink and be at the beach all at once. The French side charged for food in Euros, so be prepared to pay a higher price on that side for food. St. Thomas was nice, we just went to the shops and had a nice lunch at the Greenhouse. Turk and Cacaos was absolutely the most beautiful stop. You must see the color of the water! The set up is great there, you don't have to take a taxi....the beach, shops and Margarita-ville are all there for fun...no time wasted traveling. You don't have to pay for chairs/pool/umbrellas...just food and drink (of course).

Many of the staff on the ship could not understand English. I was very surprised when I asked directions on the ship or where an event was happening and it was met with a stare and a shrug. Most he staff was not as friendly as my past cruises.

I chose Princess based on many recommendations, however, even my sister, who has traveled on Princess over 10 times, said she was disappointed in the food, the staff and the overall feeling of this cruise.

Sorry to say, we will not be taking Princess again.......

Publication Date: 03/28/13