Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by ftworthinternational: Be careful how you spend your money
Member Since 2013
Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises
Be careful how you spend your money
We left Ft Lauderdale March 9th and returned the 23rd, 2013. 8 ports. There are a great number of suggestions on this site, so I will limit mine to those not commonly mentioned elsewhere:
1. Internet, for $199 you can purchase about 520 minutes of internet. For two weeks, that can be used quickly, but you can easily log on for free at almost every port while off the ship to catch up. The bad side of the ship internet: a. the speed is "SNAIL" speed. You think you might be getting a deal at 36 cents a minute, until you realize 5 minutes is used logging on and off and uploading slow pictures. Surprise, the clock on time keeps pace with actual time, but the speed of the internet doesn't. Even their on board Apple computers on level six move like snails. If you have a Blackberry, be very careful to use their book marks and log off, then turn it off. Otherwise, it logs on by itself and charges you. Of course, stupid me, we were hit for over $400. They were nice More enough to credit us for it and explain how it occurred.
2. Ship photos. They are always asking to take your picture. Why not, it's free! At the end of the trip, we decided to purchase the CD of pictures as we had about 50 pictures taken. For $99, you take a CD home, upload a program to your computer, then you are suppose to be able to download 6 pictures. Unfortunately we received 0!!! We are still trying to get Celebrity to respond and give us the 6 pictures. We could have bought prints on board for about $25 per print, but you can't email them. agggg
3. Day one, two and three we felt great and had a great time. Day three p.m. we noticed people coughing. Naturally, we were sick a couple days later and remained so for the remainder of the trip. Almost $400 later (the cost of medicine on ship doctors), we are home and just starting to recover from the on board bacterias. One would think they would treat you for free when you contract an illness on their ship.
4. Be careful about purchases you make over $800. There is a chance you will be taxed by US Customs when you return. Stupid me, we spent $6k on this trip, but most of it was in the US Virgin Island, and our total tax was $79. They showed me how they did the math, and gave us $2,000 credit for being US Citizens and another credit for purchasing this stuff in the US Virgin Islands. Don't even think about trying to sneak stuff into the US without declaring it. You get caught, and there is big problems. Besides, honesty really is the best policy.
5. If you are in the concier (sp?) class, you can get into the Moon light restaurant about any time and private table for two without trouble. At least we did for the entire trip. We had a set time, but seldom were able to keep because of schedule changes we had. The food was pretty good.
6. If you use the spa, they will try to sell you every cream, spray, and other junk they have. My wife was great at buying a lot of stuff she probably won't use. Her nails cost us $179 for one time. What? How do you spend $179 for finger and toe nails? aaaggg
7. We went to almost every show and sat in the front middle. Nobody typically likes to sit there and we found out why. Before you know it, some entertainer has you on stage and you are part of the act. Oh well, i have no pride, It was funny and they were pretty good.
Getting off the boat was very easy for us, because we asked to be first. However, i think in the future we might take a later flight and screw around while everyone else gets off.
Overall, the boat was pretty good. I don't know what you do to keep from getting sick. They have chemical cleansing dispensers everywhere and we still got sick. I washed my hands 10 times a day, but only got chapped hands. Less
Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>
Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Concierge Class Panorama Deck (9)
The lady who cared for our state room did a great job. She cleaned and new towels twice a day. Very pleasant.
Port and Shore Excursions
Wonderful ship if you don't mi...
Just about Perfect!
Never Again On Grandeur
Overcrowded - Long Lines
Eclipsed all others? Possibly
Won't be back.....