Norwegian Star Cruise Review by texasreb

Member Name: texasreb
Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: IA
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Norwegian Star, light at end of tunnel
My wife and I booked this western Carribean cruise in early December for a February 3 depart from New Orleans. This made our third cruise in 6 months. NCL sent us emails and voice mails that despite Super Bowl Sunday there would be plenty of parking. WRONG ! Arrived at terminal 10:45 only to get in line and stop ! Long and short we had to park else where and got hit for $225. We got aboard the ship at 3 PM. After talking to other passengers, there were at least 4 lots that were used. Many passengers complained on this cruise. We were given a letter on last day to mail our complaints to Customer Relations in Miami. It has now been 6 weeks with no reply of any kind. Yep those are good relations.

The room we were assigned was NOISY ! Directly above the main entertainment lounge stage, Spinnaker. Got no sleep at all. Staff would not move us until Tuesday evening. Then that room was directly below the main buffet kitchen. I felt like someone had just moved out of this room.

In December I had asked for mid-ship. They were open. In January I found out they assigned this deck 8 (8167) as an upgrade. I checked deck plan and questioned the location. NCL staff insisted it was an upgrade. Baloney!

Starting on Sunday ship staff would not move us saying no rooms available. Yet I could see letters on cabin doors for unclaimed rooms.

Main dining was very good. Beef came out like rubber every time. First night my wife's pasta was cold. She was too tired to send it back.

Unlike other cruises we had been on. It seemed staff here largely gave a nod, then went on about their business. The cabin stewards were good. Supervision no.

I filled out two complaint slips to ship's hotel director. No reply. Found out this was his last week.

The only redeeming part was the buffet food oddly was not that bad. The wife and I normally eat in dining room, but since that was less than it should be we did buffet. Also some specialty dining which was OK. Nothing to brag about.

Just not happy with the affair. Too tired to do any excursions. Well I did book on my own tour of Belize city. Note again this was 4th cruise in 6 months. Other lines. Any concerns I had on these other ships were addressed satisfactorily. Not on this Norwegian Star. Won't be back !

Stay away from rooms 8167 and 9171. Especially 8167.

Publication Date: 03/28/13