Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by debbyrich

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Birthday cruise on Oasis
We booked this cruise about a month in advance, a guarantee balcony and when when received our room assignment it was an accessible stateroom on Deck 6, with a bump out!! At first I was not sure if I wanted this and I checked my cabin number daily on my reservation as I knew if someone needed this room they would give it to them.

Well that did not happen, and I am grateful not only was the room & balcony much larger, the bathroom was huge also and the shower was super sized!

Since it was my birthday on (March 19) my stateroom was pimped out with the birthdays decorations from family, it looked like there was a party going on in there all the time!

Our stateroom attendant was Winston from Jamaica, he did a great job, always friendly and available to help in any way.

Meet & Mingle: We met at the Mass bar at 2pm while still in port and also had a chance to dine with some of them at the Chefs Table on my birthday. We also had the regular meet & greet at Dazzles on the first day at sea, had a gift exchange and a chance to meet some of the other (81) cruise critic guests onboard. We arrived a little late because of a previous event but we were there in time to do the gift exchange.

Labadee: Has since changed a lot form the old days, a lot of good things and some not so good. Hideaway beach used to be the best place for snorkeling and swimming and now the pier is there and while it is not the same (hardly anything to do Labadee) there are a lot of great changes as well. You will be prompted to spend a LOT more money there now for some of the upgrades, most of the changes are about variety but also about MONEY! We did not stay for the lunch, we just headed back to the ship.

Falmouth, Jamaica: We did the High Tea, the tour and guide on the bus going was really great and interesting, pulled some allspice leaves from a tree and it was so fresh and fragrant. The tour of the Good Hope Plantation was really nice if you like history which I do but I also love High Tea, this is where it was not so great!

The seating was outside of the home on a picturesque location, the scenery is quite beautiful you are 600 feet above sea level, the tables were set quite nicely also but.....the bugs were crawling all over everything and the food not too good, it was prepared too far in advance as a person who prepares and give teas all the time I was slightly disappointed in this but this did not ruin the trip for me, the small piece of jerk chicken was very tasty and so were the chocolate chip cookies.

Cozumel Mexico: I did the Mexican Cuisine cooking class, Oscar and his staff were FANTASTIC!!! This is a must do at Playa Mia! If you love to cook or not you will enjoy this class, it was fun, they have an open bar which is included in the cost along with a park pass if you choose to indulge.

We prepared grouper, chocolate plantains with Tequila and an appetizer of shrimp and tortilla cake with a chipotle sauce!!!! All I can say is DELICIOUS!!! My hubby went scuba diving as he always does in Cozumel he said this was one of his best dives EVER!!

The ship: Having sailed on Allure in 2011 I pretty much knew what to expect on Oasis, however I must say that I ate in the Main dining room all but one night, the night I went to the Chefs Table and enjoyed it thoroughly. On Allure, the main dining room was horrible and after two nights we never returned.

Our waiter's name was Ayhan from Turkey, his assistant was Elizabet from Peru, who were both GREAT!

We did see our Head waiter every night, he was very friendly but on the second to the last night he made what I am sure he thought was a good jester and brought some food to our table especially for us as he stated and not wanting to spoil the general celebratory mood of this cruise I could have questioned the "fried chicken" he brought to our table. Don't get me wrong I like fried chicken but it was the additional comment "especially for us" that was off a bit. Still there was NO problem in the dining at all for us on this cruise.

The Park Cafe which was our favorite place on Allure still had delicious salads but I thought the beef sandwiches were not as good as on Allure.

Johnny Rockets the food was still the same, cover charge a little more though.

We did not try any other specialty dining other than the Chefs Table.

Chefs Table: This was the high light of our dining experience not only did we have an exquisite meal with wine paring from appetizer to dessert but the company of the other 10 guests were awesome!! We all clicked and had a great time.

In conclusion: Chefs Table a MUST do ($95.00) per person, you will receive a cookbook signed by the chef and an apron, you will love this!

Mexican Cuisine Cooking, try this tour it is well worth the price, tell Oscar Debby sent you!

One final note: I know we all want new creative things onboard our cruise ship and RCCL is doing just that however, I did not appreciate the constant selling, that goes on now, every where you turned people were handing out flyers about so called sales! They were sending me messages on the TV in my inbox, this tends to get on my nerves, it seems to be a hard sell now for almost everything.

Might I add that the hubs & I are nearly Diamond Plus, and we LOVE RCCL, we are loyal to royal but I do not like the up selling at all and wish they would lighten up with this.

Well, this ends my review but I would like to say the last night on the ship in Diamond lounge turned into a dance party!! Not just drinking & eating alone the way some people do, the music rocked from below on the Royal Promenade and we all started dancing, this might have been a first! The concierge thanked me for teaching him and some of the other guest how to Cupid slide & Wobble!!! A greta time was had by all and a fun ending to my birthday cruise, so until Freedom in October I say happy sailing to you all and try Oasis she is a great ship!

Publication Date: 03/28/13