Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by NSWP: Lovely Ship, but food quality/presentation ordinary

Celebrity Solstice 3
Member Since 2006
8,123 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Lovely Ship, but food quality/presentation ordinary

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

This was our first Celebrity cruise, we are generally Princess cruisers. We have travelled to NZ before, but we wanted to 'road test' Celebrity.

Embarkation: Fine, got to Sydney cruise terminal at 2.45pm, with priority check in, were on board by 3.15pm. Greeted with oj/bubbly. Not shown to cabin.

Cabin: Verandah cabin on Sky deck, forward. Very nice, well furnished. Bed nice and comfortable. Lack of storage space though. Glass doors on shower good.

Baggage: Although we were supposed to have priority baggage delivery, our bags did not arrive in cabin until 6pm, other pax did not get theirs until 8pm, not really good enough.

Ship condition: Very well furnished and in good condition, plenty of lounge/bar areas and deck space.

FOOD ! The major disappointment ! Celebrity are supposed to have the best food. Well, the food in the buffet was never hot enough for me, likewise in the MDR. Food portions in the MDR were also small, not much More vegetable, steaks tough, soup lukewarm and food bland. The plates were never hot or even warm. I let the Asst. Maitre'D know my thoughts and both he and the Exec Chef came to our table a couple of times, noting my issues with food, which never really improved. Although many dishes were marked gluten free which was good for me as I am a coeliac. We did not eat in the cover charge restaurants, but split our meals between buffet and MDR. Service was good though and good wine list, albeit expensive.

Entertaiment was good and activities ok. Passengers appeared to be 50/50 Australian and American.

Disembarkation in Auckland ok, but one and a half hour wait for cabs, so we walked to our hotel, 2 km up hill ! I was not popular.

Would I sail Celebrity again? Probably not. Unless I got a real good deal again. Less

Published 03/26/13

Helpful? Thank NSWP

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Cabin review: C21019 Concierge Class

Inadequate storage space, good shower. Not enough storage for a long cruise, in my opinion.

Read All Concierge Class (C2) Reviews >>
Member Since 2006
8,123 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X