Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by sherin115: Orient Express on the Seas

Orient Express on the Seas

Sail Date: October 2012
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Beijing

China Sea Royal Caribbean cruise last October, booked with ROL on the 'Voyager of the Seas'.
Flew off with Qatar Airways - absolutely first class operators. Vastly overpriced Regal Hotel in polluted Beijing. Typical of Eastern China the infrastructure was superb.
Sailed to Fukohara, Japan; Jeju island South Korea,Xiamen China; Hong Kong; Saigon; Bangkok; Singapore.
Including Beijing port that makes 9 but your box only allows for 8.
Further cavils are that I was in the cheapest interior room but don't remember the code number and I may be slightly out on the number of nights.

Great itinerary of visits but I'm crossing off Beijing and Singapore for being vastly overpriced.

Fantastic, immaculate ship with a service aimed at patricians rather than backpackers - although I did appreciate the best gym I have ever seen and the most splendid food offerings. I should mention I dropped out of the set dinner as I was not prepared to dress up or tolerate fussy More waiter service.
On the latter point, their seemed much redundancy of staff and labour - I thought it was extravagant/wasteful.

Great entertainment and I especially loved the karaoke and ice skating.
Film fare could have been better and more varied (John Carter was srange choice).
Didn't understand all the dressing up, gambling or expensive luxury offerings.

Delectable staff - esp the Polish gym instructor and Land Dyak service lass from Sarawak. However, the cruise wasn't geared up to service lone, red-blooded, tho' rather ancient males.

Room was superb and TV OK but repetitious.

I objected to the persistent request over gratuities - as I hadn't noticed anyone providing any specially valued service worth extra remuneration. If they'd offered a massage I could afford, then that might well qualify but I wasn't going to pay over £100 just for the basic.
These gratuities could well amount to more than £1M - so what about CTT, witholding tax just for starters! Quite a conundrum.
At least all this was optional unlike the clipjoint capers in other cultural milieus where one can arrive to face unexpected surcharges/penalties! Less

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6

Interior room - immaculate, very quiet, healthy temperature

Average. Lots of pricey items for sale. Took about 2 hours to reach Bangkok I think.

Average. Long way from civilization or Beijing.
Read 16 Beijing Reviews

Average. Very scruffy around the terminal and the first half mile was very bumpy (bit like Bontoc to Sagada). Took about 2 hours to reach the city. Excellent coach guide/translator. Watch out for 'helpful' con merchants and the taxis must be as dubious as anywhere!

Average. Once again around a 2 hour trip to the city, or rather Kowloon I believe. Only worth visiting to reach superb Shenzhen!

Average. The airport on the way home was worth the visit but the city itself is vastly overrated and overpriced!