Oosterdam Cruise Review by JulesBee: Alaska on the Oosterdam - Awesome Cruise!

JulesBee
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Oosterdam Alaska Cruises

Alaska on the Oosterdam - Awesome Cruise!

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

My cruise was almost a year ago and I'm just now writing a review. I know that's horrible of me, but I was too depressed to even come onto this website! I had so much fun planning our time on the Oosterdam and in Alaska, and when it was over I seemed to go into a post-cruise funk! But I have another cruise booked, so the clouds are leaving my mood. :-)

We were in a Deluxe Verandah Suite, and man were we spoiled. If you have the means, I would definitely recommend one of these suites. Even better we were in an aft corner cabin that wraps around the side of the ship, and I couldn't have asked for anything better.

I'd read reviews about the poor condition of the Oosterdam, but she was lovely. There was one of our deck tables that had some scuffs if you really want to get picky, but you could really only see them up close. The railings were painted/stained the day we sailed and looked perfect. The aft wraparound is the way to sail. Huge balcony to enjoy sail away More and just staring at the wake and the glorious scenery. So amazing, and can't wait to do it again. This balcony (4185) doesn't have much cover, but for Alaska I think it was perfect. There were no rooms below us so it was a clear view to the water, and there was only one or two times where it was too rainy/stormy to enjoy the balcony. But in truth it was stormy enough that even with an awning we wouldn't have gone out there during those times.

Our Stewards were attentive and helpful without being over-bearing. They always had a smile and our room always looked wonderful.

Alaska is amazing and I can't wait to go back. You won't be sorry for choosing this ship! Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Deluxe Verandah Suite Upper Verandah 4185

Best cabin ever. Great balcony, huge bathroom, comfy beds and tons of closet space.

Whale Watching

(5)
Best excursion we've taken. The guide was knowledgeable and really included my daughter - 12 yrs old - in different aspects of the tour. We went on a nature walk and studied the different organisms on the trail and in the water, then went to the Mendenhall Glacier and took pictures while learning so many fascinating things about the area. Did you know Mendenhall has all these things named after him in Juneau and he never set foot in Juneau. Finally we went on a very small (12 people) whale watching boat and headed out. We saw many different marine animals and whales, but the highlight was seeing several different pods of Orcas! We got very close to the killer whales and spent a long time watching the family groups of beautiful Orcas make their way along. It was spectacular and our guide made it even better.

Totem Bight State Park

(3)
The Totem State Park and the bears were great. The Park is beautiful and it was fun to watch the bears, but our tour guide was just plain awful! My daughter and I were able to just ignore him and have our own fun, but it was pricey and not really worth the money. The only excursion we didn't book through Holland America, and the only excursion we regretted. We also went to the Lumberjack Show and it was a lot of fun. It was a great stop especially if you have kids.

Tlingit Tribal Show

(5)
The Tinglit Tribal show was great! Informative and interesting. I would highly recommend it. Sitka was my favorite port and I've been trying to find a way to move there permanently ever since we visited - some day!