Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Barmerman: 10 Night Ultimate Caribbean Christmas Cruise.

Barmerman
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Southern Caribbean Cruises

10 Night Ultimate Caribbean Christmas Cruise.

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean

We had not been on a vacation in a year so this was a treat. The ship is beautiful, fresh, and new in every respect. This cruise was the 10 day Ultimate Holiday Southern Caribbean over Christmas holidays. The cruise line is upscale without breaking the bank.

This was our second cruise and the first on Celebrity. I didn't particularly care for our first cruise on a rather stodgy line from NYC to Bermuda in 2011. This was different...a lot different.

Embarkation was quick and efficient arriving at Port Everglades about 11:30am, boarding at 12:15 to a glass of champagne, and our C-3 Concierge room 1255 on Deck 10 was ready at a little before 1:00. Very exciting!

The room was a perfect size with a nice balcony. Every inch of space is utilized. Suitcases fit under the bed and offer more storage. Bathroom was perfect. You only need to take half as many clothes as you think you need so the storage is adequate, but a bit tight. Anyone who complains about these rooms More and the amenities probably would complain about any accommodation. We spend so little time in the room, it was perfect as was the outdoor deck for the two of us.

Food was very good considering how many tastes and nationalities have to be pleased. The kitchen makes 13,000 meals per day so, at that, the food is excellent. We tried each of the specialty restaurants and found them very nice. They should be considered a special treat. Food in the general cafeteria is fun and plentiful and food in the sit down dining room is very nice. Two brunches were offered toward the end of the cruise and featured endless food and variety. We ate in the main dining room six nights and mostly with the same group. The food is good and the service is extremely good. The staff want you to be pleased with no exceptions.

The destinations were very nice. We booked one Celebrity excursion and did the others on our own. Nothing better than to be in the Caribbean in the winter. Actually, the islands were often hard to distinguish from one another. The local people were friendly and helpful.

I know I will be criticized by many, but I bought the premium drink package for both of us and never was more pleased. It was hassle free. Special coffees, teas, smoothies, pool drinks, great bars, wine at dinner, with no signing. I know it is extravagant and it probably did not pay for itself, but I say hands down that it makes for a classy and all inclusive cruise at half the price of the premium cruise lines. If you don't drink alcohol, get the package without it. My wife loves teas and would have limited her tea consumption without the package. It does not make you drink too much as some claim unless you are looking for a "return on investment", which, in that case, you probably shouldn't be on this cruise in the first place.

The two pools are wonderful with one indoors and one outdoors and one for everyone and one for adults only.

I must mention that the Molecular Bar is fantastic.

Expect the usual shlepping of watches, jewelry and art, but looking at them alone is entertaining. They have great stores to walk through.

I bought two hours of Internet (satellite) and left with 24 minutes remaining. It works most of the time and is good for email. Wait until all the other passengers are occupied or sleeping as it is much faster then. I was able to get three good Skype video sessions with my kids back in the States. It worked surprisingly well for such a narrow bandwidth. I don't think you are supposed to do this, but no harm trying.

This is a great ship and a great crew. I have already booked us for the same cruise Christmas 2013. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>