Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Windows7

Norwegian Sun
Member Name: Windows7
Cruise Date: February 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Pleasently surprised
My wife and I have been on some 20 cruises with several cruise companies; with this said, here's what we've discovered on the Norwegian Sun. There's just not really much to complain about, prior to this cruise I had read several reviews, a few seemed a bit critical so I was concerned. It turns out this ship is an extremely well run operation even though it's the second smallest in the fleet they take customer service their number one priority. Coming out of Miami the rough seas had the ship flailing about. Most everyone felt and reacted to the conditions, even the crew. An unusual event to be sure but none the less had my wife feeling sick until the next morning. The sea remained somewhat choppy for a day or so but the passengers tolerated it well. We soon discovered there are no deck chairs on the outside promenade deck (6) for safety reasons. It remained empty except for a few runners and walkers. This was our only real disappointment. I thought fold down benches from the walls might be a good compromise.

The food was so-so to very good; mostly very good. The free pasta bar was very good place to get a great lunch and the open air dining at the rear of the ship offered a unique area for eating. Rib eye steak is offered each evening in the dining rooms. As it happens, it's some of the best I've had on any cruise line. The dining rooms and buffets have an exceptional staff of servers who bend over backwards to insure you have a pleasant and tasty meal. If you complain about the staff, there's something wrong with you because I've never experienced a more pleasant or accommodating staff. It's nice to have a hassle free dinner. I say that because on other cruise ships we have been virtually forgotten at our table; many of you know what that's like.

Each morning there are three different places you can have individually made omelets with short or no lines of passengers waiting. Eggs can be made variety of ways with a variety of ingredients to satisfy just about anyone. Waffles as well can be ordered at a station and come hot of the griddle for you with lots of topping choices.

The hotel crew is also extremely accommodating; more so than on any ship we've been on. They seem pleasant and very happy. The officer for all the hotel and restraint employees can routinely be seen working alongside the workers doing grunt work...impressive!

On the dark side, the security team routinely pats down each and every crew member as they return to the ship from daily shore leave. This seemingly humiliating occurrence was done in full view of returning passengers. I would think it could be done behind a canvas barrier or away from passengers.

The entertainment is as good or better than any cruise we've taken. There are the usual troupe of singers and dancers and they put on a good show but we thought the other entertainers were extra special. If you want a lot of laughs take advantage of the interactive activities and games offered each evening in various lounges. They are fun to participate in or just watch. The staff is extremely good at what they do even if they seem a little silly at times; they work hard to offer a good time for all passengers.

We've been to all the locations the ship docked so there weren't too many surprises for us. I will say with only one exception, all the excursions were run well run and were timely. We took a jeep safari in St. Thomas that was a risky adventure at best. We were last in a line of four vehicles. The lead car was driven by the guide who drove faster than the speed limit and once entered a busy intersection on a yellow light causing some of the other cars to go through the light after turning red. I felt like kissing the ground after that trip.

I would give this cruise ship a very high mark. Although a small ship, it had all the amenities needed for a great time at sea. On other, larger ships it seemed I had to walk a quarter mile just to get to the other end of the ship and everything always seem to be on the other end. Those super large ships take a toll on the feet and joints. I really liked not having to stand in long lines for everything. A few things that stood out were lots and lots of elevators on board; and they all WORKED as did the toilets throughout the vessel. If you want a friendly and attentive crew, this is the one for you!

Publication Date: 03/24/13