“Last Minute Decision Cruise”
Cruise review of Holland America Westerdam

graybear41 Westerdam 3 Last Minute Decision Cruise
graybear41
Member Since 2011
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My wife and I and another couple decided at the last minute to take this ship as it was reasonable in price and we just wanted to get away. We were assigned what were possibly the last two available inside cabins that were available, which was our choice. The temperature was not really warm enough for a balcony type cabin. Check in was OK. We waited in the terminal for awhile, but once we were allowed on board, we went directly to our cabins, which was a nice touch. The cabin was plain but adequate. The problem was that the toilet quit working on three different occasions, two of them at 11:00 PM or so. We had some difficulty getting the right person to report the problems too, but response time was good once we made the right contact. (Within 20 minutes) Where we were most disappointed was in the service in the dining areas. We ate at both the dining room (main) and the Lido restaurant. The food selection was good, but it seemed that the staff had been cut back excessively so that it took far too long to eat in the dining room and in the Lido it took some hunting to find eating utensils and also tables (though that is not very unusual). Coffee was difficult to come by and refills were not always offered or available. Again, this is due to lack of personnel I believe. On a positive note, the entertainment staff were first rate. The ship's permanent entertainers were as good as any we have viewed and the outside entertainers were also very good. Both my wife and I picked up rotten colds by the last day of the cruise, but that was due to the passengers, I cannot blame that on the Westerdam. This is the second Holland America ship in a row where we feel the service (dining in particular) is not of the caliber that it was a few years ago. We no longer place Holland America in our most desired catagory.
Westerdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Interior Stateroom

K6124
Little storage in bathroom, only one cabinet beside mirror. Toilet clogged 3 times - just quit. Near elevator, some noise from dinging of floor warning.

Published 03/25/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Westerdam Review
Westerdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?