Crown Princess Cruise Review by ruthhawkins

Member Name: ruthhawkins
Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: AB
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Decidedly Mediocre
Maybe I've been spoiled by sailing with Celebrity last year, where everything was terrific.

The Crown Princess entertainment was the best thing about our experience. The staterooms were also nice, although pretty much standard. The things that really disappointed were the food and the way dining was set up. We were 'traditional' dining, but seated during an open reservations timeslot... we had another couple at our table for 8...but 4 people at a large empty table is a bit pathetic. The menus were uninspired and the meat often grey and bland. Desserts were hit and miss: the creme brulee was excellent, but the so-called apple crumble reduced us to tears of laughter it was so mis-named. It resembled a cafeteria-style apple dessert made with canned apple pie filling. We did not even eat it.

The specialty restaurant (Crown Grill) was not worth the extra surcharge ($25) We had reservations but still stood and waited 10 minutes to be seated in the virtually empty restaurant. The meat was just ok, and the sides nothing to write home about.

But what really galled me on this ship was how much we were nickel and dimed to death. Every time we turned around there was an added charge... for delivery of a smoothie that was part of our "all soda/smoothie package" for example.

The spa is nice but not the kind of retreat that I would have imagined it should be. And the pressure / sales pitch to buy the products bordered on offensive and uncomfortable. I did not appreciate being told my hair cut was a disaster and needed to be fixed the moment I sat down for a special scalp treatment. Did they not realize that I had had my hair cut just before the trip and would not be happy for their "expert" view - designed to merely sell me their services?

The adult area pool was only open a few days because of the rough weather (its overflow would have swamped the spa).

I was glad I wasn't on Carnival :) but I will stick to Celebrity from now on. There's a reason they score so highly all the time.

Publication Date: 03/25/13