Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by copref

Cruise Date: December 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 6E
See More About: Carnival Conquest Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
        7-9 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Great Cruise with an Incredible View
My family celebrated our 10 year anniversary on-board the new Conquest in December 2012. While it was about to go into dry dock, I noticed that a new class of Ocean View rooms (6k- cannot enter that class here on this review). I saw online on Carnival's site that it was available and only $30 more than the Early Saver rate that we currently had. Anyway, I contacted Carnival directly as my TA was not available and I requested that room (9200). The PVP on the phone didn't know what I was talking about until I urged her to look it up online. She was genuinely shocked by what a great value she saw. She was able to get me booked into the room with just a few minutes on hold.

On the Conquest, Valor, and Glory, there are new cabins at the front of the ship where the 4J's were. These old cabins had a public deck in front of the window. The new cabins along with the new Captain Suites, sport floor to ceiling 8 ft wide windows and no walkways. Our cabin had 2 such windows side by side along with the room size being 320 sq ft (normal Ocean View has 230 sq ft). This is the largest room outside of the suites. The room had a queen size bed along with a sofa bed that opened to a full size for my son. Even with the beds opened, there was still plenty of room to hang out in there and get the same view as the bridge below us. There is one caveat when occupying this room. There are electric shades that have to be closed at night due to the dark conditions that the bridge crew works under. My wife and son loved waking up to the wide open ocean each morning. We didn't need a balcony as the pool deck was just 150 feet or so aft of us.

The ship was incredible. We loved Guys Burger Joint and the Blue Iguana Catina. Don't miss out on the fish and chips upstairs Deck 10 Aft. Plenty of open seating up there.

We ate at the Comedy Brunch twice on sea days. Comedy routine was very short, but the food was absolutely delicious. I had Fillet Mignon with hollandaise sauce. My wife had the "Funny French Toast" and chocolate pancakes. All served with complete waiter service. This sure beat going to the Lido deck for the buffet. We ate at the steakhouse once and we were not disappointed. We each had the Surf and Turf (Fillet Mignon and Lobster) along with the chocolate sampler for desert.

We did a few extra things as well such as going to the cooking demonstration at the steak house. We got a few tips on what we could order not on the menu too. I got a men's facial and had the best shave of my life. The shave was so close I did not have to shave the next 2 days.

Our son loved Camp Carnival. He raced up the stairs each day. Since this was an off week as most kids were in school, there were only around 100 kids on-board. Therefore my son had almost one to one attention. Being autistic he enjoyed every minute and was really into the crafts and puzzles. Normally, he might have been left out with many more typical kids there. The result was that he was grinning from ear to ear every day and we couldn't tell that he had a disability as he had come out so much.

Being December, the water was a little too cold to use the pool or the slides. We did partake in the nighttime movie on the pool deck. Free popcorn and blankets were provided. The ship staff was gracious to put the ARMY/NAVY game on the big screen per my request and there was a huge crowd of veterans there cheering on their favorite academy.

I have to give shout outs to the staff. Casy (India) was our room steward. He was incredible and always greeted us and our son every opportunity. An adjoining steward even let our son help vacuum the hallway. We made friends early on with the CD, Gary Brierley, and ACD, "Squishy??." They always made a point to talk to our son and Gary did a special presentation on the morning TV show and presented a ship on a stick to our son for building the 3D ship puzzle before the cruise.

We did go to a couple of the shows. We loved Motown, but the Divas was corny. On the Motown show, it ended with the show going through the theatre, down the hallway and into the atrium. It was fun and very raucous.

We also had a few of the signature drinks along with a few rounds of the Thirsty Frog Red beer. Some of the best beer I have ever had.

We are booked on the Breeze soon for my 50th birthday and can't wait.

Publication Date: 03/19/13
Read the Bahamas ports review by copref
More Carnival Conquest Cruise Reviews