Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Joemomma: Legend - 10-17 Mar 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Legend - 10-17 Mar 2013

Sail Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

Summary: Gold member - 42+ cruise days. Balcony every time. Was going to try a suite, but they were sold out.

Embark: excellent. Got there right when they started. Less than 15 minutes to board. On-shore staff excellent as usual.

Ship: old, running down, but still reasonable. Staff kept it clean, but the wear is there.

Ship staff: pleasant and friendly for the most part. Elena in then main dining room was wonderful, as was her team. After Elias one night, I requested Elena's area the rest of the cruise.

On-board entertainment: fair to good. Didn't get out much. This trip (third on Legend), ship was used for transportation only, which led to:

Cruise: After the propulsion broke, Belize was taken away and Costa Maya was substituted. Not good at all. We were told they would try to fix the propulsion system to get to Belize - no dice. No Grand Cayman, either. We went back to Tampa at 19 knots until Sat, when we slowed to 10-12 to make to to Tampa More on Sat night at or about 0100 Sunday, instead of getting to port early.

Roatan: wonderful as usual. Tried the Maya Key Resort, but after we had JUST settled into our chairs on the beach, the rain started. After 2 hours or so, Carnival took us back and refunded our excursion fee. There was a question of whether the refund would be coming or not. I would have liked to have stayed there, as it looked very nice. The rain quit about 1 hour before departure, of course.

After making the announcement about returning to Tampa with NO other ports, we were were given a $100/person ($200 total) "compensation", plus a refund of all excursion fees that were missed. We are also given the option of having one person, one cruise ticket at half price in the next two years. This was given to us on Friday/Saturday time frame. With no other outlet, most of the passengers we talked with claimed they gambled it away or spent it on board.

After docking at Tampa and reading stories about how people could get a FULL refund by declining the cruise ON THE DOCK, DAY OF THE CRUISE because of the itinerary change, I called Carnival to complain about only $200.

I was told:
a. What they gave me was ALL they would give me. No apologies, no nothing.
b. There was NO other person to talk with - no supervisor, no other customer service rep, no one. No apologies, no nothing.

Despite the average to above-average ship amenities, I am NOT going to cruise with Carnival again. I know I sound like sour grapes, but I feel being trapped on the ship with NO choice in whether I want to go on the cruise without Grand Cayman or Belize should give me a bit more compensation than $200. I'm following up the phone call with a letter, but still expect no results. Sad that additional compensation for a ruined vacation is not forthcoming.

With the Legend scheduled for dry dock in the next few weeks until 2014, it appears as if Carnival is just patching problems or just hoping nothing serious crops up to spend money on until regularly scheduled maintenance is performed. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Upper 5117

Larger than usual balcony - #5117. Really nice to have the larger sized balcony - didn't know they were there, not that it matters. Not sure if it was an 8F or not. We usually got an 8D. Toilet broke the second day - water shot up from behind it. Took 3+ hours and two calls for someone to come look at it. On and off from then on, the push button was flaky - sometimes it would flush the first time, other times it took several tries. Bed was firm for me - wife said it was too hard. Room cooled and warmed adequately. Haru was excellent cabin steward.

Armpit of the trip - tired of the pushy "macho" men outside every store, calling to you to come in. If we didn't or said no, I heard many snarky remarks in Spanish about us. The only reason I'm not rotting an a Mexican jail for assaulting one or several of these morons is that my wife dragged me away. Costa Maya was alleged compensation for missing Belize and Grand Cayman. Not, not, NOT happy with the change or port. I would NOT have chosen this cruise, even with Belize and/or Roatan, if I had know Costa Maya was going to be part of the package.

Amazing Cozumel Race

(5)
Great time even with the torrential rain from the beginning to the end of the race. Personnel were fantastic - very supportive in the rain. Was a fun time. Port is getting to be like Costa Maya - "macho" men outside the stores trying to get you in, making snarky remarks if you don't.