Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Joemomma

Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 8E

Legend - 10-17 Mar 2013
Summary: Gold member - 42+ cruise days. Balcony every time. Was going to try a suite, but they were sold out.

Embark: excellent. Got there right when they started. Less than 15 minutes to board. On-shore staff excellent as usual.

Ship: old, running down, but still reasonable. Staff kept it clean, but the wear is there.

Ship staff: pleasant and friendly for the most part. Elena in then main dining room was wonderful, as was her team. After Elias one night, I requested Elena's area the rest of the cruise.

On-board entertainment: fair to good. Didn't get out much. This trip (third on Legend), ship was used for transportation only, which led to:

Cruise: After the propulsion broke, Belize was taken away and Costa Maya was substituted. Not good at all. We were told they would try to fix the propulsion system to get to Belize - no dice. No Grand Cayman, either. We went back to Tampa at 19 knots until Sat, when we slowed to 10-12 to make to to Tampa on Sat night at or about 0100 Sunday, instead of getting to port early.

Roatan: wonderful as usual. Tried the Maya Key Resort, but after we had JUST settled into our chairs on the beach, the rain started. After 2 hours or so, Carnival took us back and refunded our excursion fee. There was a question of whether the refund would be coming or not. I would have liked to have stayed there, as it looked very nice. The rain quit about 1 hour before departure, of course.

After making the announcement about returning to Tampa with NO other ports, we were were given a $100/person ($200 total) "compensation", plus a refund of all excursion fees that were missed. We are also given the option of having one person, one cruise ticket at half price in the next two years. This was given to us on Friday/Saturday time frame. With no other outlet, most of the passengers we talked with claimed they gambled it away or spent it on board.

After docking at Tampa and reading stories about how people could get a FULL refund by declining the cruise ON THE DOCK, DAY OF THE CRUISE because of the itinerary change, I called Carnival to complain about only $200.

I was told:

a. What they gave me was ALL they would give me. No apologies, no nothing.

b. There was NO other person to talk with - no supervisor, no other customer service rep, no one. No apologies, no nothing.

Despite the average to above-average ship amenities, I am NOT going to cruise with Carnival again. I know I sound like sour grapes, but I feel being trapped on the ship with NO choice in whether I want to go on the cruise without Grand Cayman or Belize should give me a bit more compensation than $200. I'm following up the phone call with a letter, but still expect no results. Sad that additional compensation for a ruined vacation is not forthcoming.

With the Legend scheduled for dry dock in the next few weeks until 2014, it appears as if Carnival is just patching problems or just hoping nothing serious crops up to spend money on until regularly scheduled maintenance is performed.

Publication Date: 03/18/13