Carnival Legend Cruise Review by colibri lover: Ship maintenance should be first priority

colibri lover
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Ship maintenance should be first priority

Sail Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

This was our first cruise and if we had not been open minded, it could have gone down as one of our worst vacations.

First of all I want to say that all of the personnel on the Legend were fantastic. Everyone went out of their way to help and accommodate the passengers. The service was great in every aspect. Our Stateroom was on Deck 1 with a window. We didn't feel that we needed a balcony since we didn't plan to stay in our cabin other than to sleep, shower and dress. The bed was very comfortable, we had enough room and water pressure was perfect.

The on-board entertainment was wonderful and there was something for everyone regardless of age or ability. If someone was 'bored' it is because they CHOSE to be so as there was never a dull moment. There is even a library where you can get a book to read, sign up for Internet access or a room where you can play a private game of cards or board game if that is your thing.

Food was very good whether you chose to More eat in the Truffles Dining Room or take advantage of the buffet fare in the Unicorn Cafe on Deck 9. For the most part I preferred the buffet since I was able to choose from a vast selection. I heard the hamburgers on the Lido deck by the pool was fantastic by everyone who got one so if you are a hamburger type of person definitely try it.

I can't really comment on the excursions on our particular cruise as many of the excursions were cut short or cancelled due to weather (it rained until the last 2 days of our cruise and we were already heading back to Tampa... Not the ship's fault!) You can't blame bad weather on the cruise line.

Disembarkation CAN be slow to get started because the non US citizens that are supposed to report to immigration first DO NOT follow instructions so be patient and if you can handle taking your own luggage off that is the quickest way to disembark.

My complaint is with Carnival for obviously not keep up with necessary maintenance of their ships but sending them right back out without checking that all systems are OK first. Our cruise was cut short and we by-passed 2 scheduled ports due to problems with the ship's propulsion. We were one of 4 cruises within a month that had maintenance/system problems. We couldn't make it to Belize but went to Costa Maya instead. I wasn't too concerned about missing Belize but Costa Maya is just now starting to recover after the island was nearly totally destroyed by Hurricane Charley. There wasn't much available there. We also weren't able to go to Grand Cayman after leaving Isla Roatan due to the ship still not being fully functional and able to travel at appropriate speed. So from Roatan we limped directly back to Tampa at various speeds going from 5 to 20kn. When we disembarked in Tampa, we heard that the ship was going right back out for another cruise and not going into dry dock for maintenance. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend

Cabin was located mid ship on deck 1 so we felt very little motion. Adequate size for 2 adults, plenty of storage of clothing both folded and hanging. Hair dryer provided. Bathroom was adequate with plenty of hot water for showers and washing up. Stateroom was quiet. There is only one outlet in each cabin so that limits to what you can plug in. There is a tv but tv channels are very limited. We had a window room rather than a balcony as we didn't plan to spend a lot of time in the room. Smoking not permitted in any room and only in limited designated areas.

Snorkeling

(4)
I wasn't able to complete the snorkeling excursion but my husband did and he did enjoy it. I think I needed a bit more time to learn how to use the mask and snorkel on shore before going right into the water with it but others seemed to handle it OK so I would actually give it almost a 5 and you do get to see lots of fish. My husband enjoyed it so much that he did book a 2nd. snorkeling excursion on Costa Maya.

Our excursion was cut short after about 20 minutes due to pouring rain but I am rating it 5 b/c had the weather been good I feel that the excursion into Carambola Gardens would have been just what I expected. If you are looking for a natural and primitive garden then give this a shot. The few feet I was able to see before it was cancelled had more of a wild jungle-like setting. Be forewarned, the trails are rocky, narrow and winding and not for anyone who is physically challenged. The garden tour at the western end of the island might be more appropriate.
Read 1645 Roatan Reviews