Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by Encruiseiasm: Fantastic Disney Fantasy

Compare Prices on Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Fantastic Disney Fantasy

Sail Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Disney just knows how to do it right! They wowed us and they will wow you too!

The ship is spectacularly beautiful inside and out. Even the public restrooms are gorgeous. Yes, it's true, you will even see people taking photos of the restrooms in the adult night club section called Europa. They feature splendid Italian glass tile mosaics. I even saw one woman have her husband make sure no man was in the men's restrooms so she could capture photos of them as well!

The three themed main dining rooms are unique, the service is splendid, and the food very good. If you don't care for haute cuisine there are some plain offerings like chicken and steak with a baked potato every night. You should try the Palo brunch just once for an up charge of $20 that is well worth it. Just make your reservation online for an at sea day as soon as you can.

Disney bus transportation is seamless to and from the airport and you can get to the port terminal even before it opens for More others, just be sure to choose an early port arrival time as soon as you can complete your online check in.

The entertainment is true Disney family Broadway style shows with special effects that everyone will love, and they show first run movies every day. We saw the just released "Oz" in 3D. All this and a pirate night with fireworks at sea! It is just over the top!

The ship is constantly being cleaned inside and out from top to bottom 'round the clock. I've never been in a cleaner more super spotless space. As you enter any dining room or buffet you are greeted at the door with a sanitizing wipe to cleanse your hands. Also, when returning to the ship from port there are hand foaming stations set up before you step onto the ship. This really made me very happy to see how proactive Disney is about keeping germs at bay!

All of the cast members you will interact with will treat you like royalty. They are a very happy crew that are treated well themselves. They love working for Disney, and it shows!

All this is topped off with a luxury stop at Disney's own Island, Castaway Cay! I spent the day in Serenity Bay, and it was idyllic. I found myself wondering if there was some way I could become a real castaway there and go home on another Disney ship in a couple of weeks or so! I took the very last tram back to the ship. I even ran into Captain Jack Sparrow while on the Island.

I'm 62 and I went down the Aquaduck water coaster on the ship ten times! It is at the same time exhilarating and relaxing. I don't like roller casters or any scary rides, so try it...you'll like it!

I could write a lot more, but let me just end by saying....BOOK IT!.... and get a veranda for sure. Less

Read more Disney Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Fantasy 8034

8034 was in a port location about five rooms down from the forward elevators. This is a great location for adults because it's a quick exit to the Quiet Cove adult pool, hot tub, and Satellite Falls straight up on decks 11, 12, and 13. Also, straight off the elevator on decks 3 and 4 are the two theaters. It was very quiet. There was no elevator noise, and no noise through the adjoining room door. This cabin accommodates only three people with a queen bed that does not split and a sofa that makes up into a fairly comfortable single. I slept on the sofa bed every night with the balcony door open and it was grand! Our stateroom host converted this to a bed just once and it remained that way for the entire cruise. That was fine for us, but I'm sure that we could have requested a daily conversion back to a sofa each day. There is no pull down bunk or Murphy bed in this stateroom. The balcony has two chairs and a footrest/table. The chairs do not recline. The view when entering St. Thomas was very good, and when we entered the harbor at San Juan the Castile El Morro fortress was right off our port side balcony. I would never book a cruise stateroom that did not have a balcony. It is an absolute must for me, and I highly recommend it for everyone.

Two words......Serenity Bay..... If you are all over 18 go there! Go early and get a hammock. Rent a floating mat. Walk the beach. Put a chair in the surf, and you will never want to leave. The water is absolutely crystal clear and a gorgeous pale aquamarine color. Watch the pelicans catch and swallow fish. See the fish swim by as you wade in the warm water. You will wish you could stay forever. Your six hours will go by very fast. I was the first one off the ship and the last one back on. Ride the tram... It's a long walk. One warning...the water slide on the island is not like the pool slides at all the Disney resorts. I enjoy them each and every one! I've also enjoyed the slides at the Disney water parks and loved the Aquaduck on the Fantasy, but not this! There are two openings when you climb to the top. I went down the one on the right and it was NOT fun! I was plunged into the ocean so fast I could not help but gulp up the salty sea water. I was choking and coughing and the little kid that came after me was crying his eyes out! I'm 62 and I knew just how he felt! I did not try that again even though the life guard said I should try the one on the left which was calmer. It was so fast it was like I was torpedoed into the briny sea. TERRIBLE! Despite this one Major flaw....Castaway Cay (pronounced key) is otherwise absolutely TERRIFIC !

We didn't buy the pricey Isla Verde beach excursion but instead just took a fifteen minute cab ride to the Marriott at Isla Verde. We walked through the lobby to the gorgeous public beach and enjoyed three hours here. We bought soft drinks in the hotel lobby shop and walked the beach and even relaxed in palm tree shaded hammocks . The surf here is very big. There were many surfers on this day. We enjoyed the gorgeous aqua colored water and even got our feet wet. But it was unsafe for swimming as the waves were huge and I'm certain there was a dangerous undertow.
Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

We had signed up for the Trunk Bay beach and snorkel excursion, but it was canceled due to four foot waves that are not conducive to good snorkeling. We were not going to snorkel, but instead just relax on the beach. Instead Disney made room for us on the St John Island tour. It was a beautiful sunny day and the views on this tour were absolutely breathtaking! Instead of actually going to a beach we looked down from vantage points high above. We saw Caneel Bay, Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay, and other beaches, as well as a 15 minute stop at the ruins of a sugar mill. The excursion started and ended with a 45 minute ferry ride that was very beautiful in itself. A very good second choice. If I go back to St. John someday I hope to actually set foot on these gorgeous beaches!