Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by MichelleDavison: Great Week on the Dawn

Overall Member Rating

Great Week on the Dawn

Sail Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

We just returned today from our cruise on the Dawn.

Day 1 - We live in Tampa and had someone drop us at the port. No problems at all. On the ship within 20 minutes. However, I did not get one of my bags until 8 PM because it was flagged to be inspected. I don't smuggle alcohol, so maybe it was my perfumes? We had dinner that night at Le Bistro. Loved the escargot! Server and I both forgot that I was to get a free bottle of wine. She remembered later that night and brought the bottle to my stateroom and opened it for me. Above and beyond in my opinion.

Day 2 - Sea Day. Very relaxing. Worked out in the gym, which had nice equipment. Dinner at the main dining room. Food was good and the service was quick.

Day 3 - Gumbalimba park in Roatan. We've been here before on a Princess cruise and really enjoy the birds and monkies. Dinner in buffet.

Day 4 -Belize. Did the biking. The forest was beautiful, but beware the mushroom in the pool. When my daughter swam More under it about 30 bats flew out!!!!

Day 5 - Costa Maya. This port is designed for cruise ships, which is great if you like shopping. We went to the beach break and didn't realize we were going to be joined by a hundred spring breakers attracted by the open bar! It was OK though. Had to laugh at the kid who passed out on the bus. Dinner at Cagney's which was really great! Star Bar has great piano music and Magdalena the bartender is awesome!

Day 6 - Cozumel. Apparently there were some problems tendering here because of weather. We were not affected since we were going to Tulum, but even our ferry had a really rough ride out. Several people were seasick. Always enjoy the beach and ruins at Tulum. This tour company was better than the one we had last time on Princess.

Day 7 - Sea Day. Pool and shows. Second City adult show.

Most of the shows in the theatre were really good quality, especially Second City and Jocko and Maria. Impac was a fun band on 70s night and I enjoyed the Abba tribute.

Our room steward Ashok never let us down.

We did walk off disembarkation and were on our way home in 15 minutes.

Would definitely do this again. The vibe was fun and less staid than Princess.

Also, for those who care about this kind of thing, I did notice that this cruise seemed to be very LGBT friendly. Less

Published 03/18/13

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review: OB5080 Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

Cabin was pretty quiet, but we could hear children in the next room. Liked the window and being close to the sea. Very good design.

Read All Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window (OB) Reviews >>

Liked the biking excursion a lot, but if you just want to hang around town, there's not much here.

Beach Break

Nice beach. People were nice, but a lot of college age spring breakers overindulged at the open bar.

Mayan Ruins

Tulum's ruins are impressive, and the beach is beautiful. Had a great Mexican lunch as well.

Did the Gumbalimba Park. Nice pool, and we always like the animals.
Read 2192 Roatan Reviews

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X