Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by dalaisama

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by dalaisama
Celebrity Reflection
Celebrity Reflection
Member Name: dalaisama
Cruise Date: March 2013
Cabin Category: C2
See More About: Celebrity Reflection Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
        7-9 5+

Spring break family time
Just got off the Reflection on a cruise that departed Miami on 3/9. This is our 2nd cruise having used Celebrity once prior. Party of 3 included our 8-year old daughter off on spring break.

Observations:

Great officers and crew that went out of their way for their passengers. The Nor'easter that slammed the Boston area last week left heavy seas in the open Atlantic. NOAA issued high surf warnings for the north shore of our Caribbean destinations - San Juan, St Maarten, and St Kitts and we were expecting seas up to 15 feet. Captain Bouzakis altered our course and used the Bahamas as shelter. As such the 1st day of our cruise was very pleasant and we did not hit a rough patch until our final 12 hours or so of sailing to San Juan. We were 30 minutes late to SJ but the delay was worthwhile give the misery avoided. Assume this cost the cruise line some fuel as we travelled further than otherwise planned. Met some fellow cruisers from other lines in St Maarten who left Miami on the same day but whose crew chose a more open water route. They reported a miserable couple of days with a lot of seasickness. Gotta love it when a crew ACTS to make your cruise pleasant, not just talks about it. Return trip to Miami was pretty calm. The Reflection is well designed where under these optimal conditions once can hardly sense any motion or vibration.

Entertainment:

Attended most of the shows in the Reflection theater. Nice variety, good family friendly performances, and all entertaining. Don't get prior reviewers ripping the performers and shows. If applying Broadway standards, the shows and performers don't stack up. But we weren't on Broadway, we were on the Atlantic. By that measure, the shows were outstanding. The Cirque style acrobat performance was my personal favorite.

Food:

Again, don't get prior reviewers ripping the food. MDR had a nice variety of options that were all well prepared. Had kid menus as well so offered something for everyone. Noticed a couple of dishes that didn't come to par, but that's gonna happen when you cook for 3000 people at a time. When pointed out, replacement dishes were quickly brought out. Specialty dining had 5 options. The highlight for me was the Lawn Club Grill. Didn't think an outdoor BBQ was going to be any better than what I could cook up on my own grill at home. I was wrong. Great food and learned a lot that should improve my own attempts on my backyard Weber. Murano was outstanding as expected. Tuscan Grill was the only place that left me scratching my head. The setting is very nice with a great view out the back of the ship. But the menu is standard Italian - lasagna, steaks and such. Enjoyed the experience but not worth the uplift given that the MDR costs nothing extra and the food is just as good if not better.. Oceanview buffet was great. Nice options, fresh ingredients, tasty food with little to no wait. Can't find anything to complain about.

Kids:

My 8-year old daughter loved the Fun Factory. Not many kids aboard the ship given Spring Break. About 300 out of 3000 passengers. I'm sure this is a far fewer percentage than other lines. Fun Factory staff had a full day of activities planned from 9am to 1am every evening. Only time I saw kids crying was when their parents were trying to tear them away from their new found friends and counselors. Particular shout out to Ivana that managed the cadet age group. Daughter can't stop talking about her.

The ship:

Nice and new, elegant but comfortable. Each public area room had a distinct look and feel. Rooms were roomy enough for the 3 of us and I noticed no appreciable noise. Slept like the dead most nights.

All in all a great trip. Got more than I expected given what we invested. Will cruise again and will pick Celebrity.

Publication Date: 03/17/13