Volendam Cruise Review by Nursepal: Reasonable but not outstanding

Reasonable but not outstanding

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Hong Kong

This cruise was part of a lot her cruise. We got on in Hong Kong, sailing to Kobe.

The ship was docked at a freight port. We had a expensive taxi ride and the taxi was not sure where to drop us off. Very nerve wreaking. We later heard there was a shuttle bus.

The room was ready and the luggage appeared Rey quickly. The closet space was outstanding.

We had a nice sail out of Hong Kong. Apparently the front deck was opened but no announcement.

We did anytime dining. Never much of a wait. I found the food to be fine but not outstanding. Every night they have a different "crisp", those were great. We did the three bottle of wine deal, seemed like a good approach for the two of us. I would suggest adding a tossed salad and a pasta to the "everyday" menu.

The first formal night,the sea was very rough. They even had sickness bags outside the elevators. I must admitt, it got to me. I am not a delicate traveler, it was bad. More Perhaps formal night could have been delayed.

The on-board activities were fine but a bit repetitive. We happen to like trivia and name. That tune, so we were fine. I found the entertainment to be lacking. We did a number of excursions. All were done professionally. There were free buses into town often, but they stopped running quite early compared to the all abroad time.

I am usually a Princess cruise person, I found the entertainment to be quite limited on HAL and the food not as good. The public rooms are about equal. My last cruise, princess had a port advisor that talked about things to do if you did not take the excursion. I found that very interesting. He gave more cultural information about the ports, like bargain, don't bargain, bow or shake hands, Etc.

My nephew had not been to Asia and he had an amazing time. I enjoyed the cruise overall. Less

Published 03/16/13

Read more Volendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Volendam Review >>

Compare Prices on Volendam Asia Cruises

Cabin review: EE3321 Large Ocean-View Stateroom

Close to elevator. Reasonable view. Must remember that deck is just outside, no quick changes in your room without closing the drapes.

Read All Large Ocean-View Stateroom (EE) Reviews >>
Nursepal
Member Since 2011
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X