Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by nursemommy7578: We love the Gem!!

nursemommy7578
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

We love the Gem!!

Sail Date: March 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Family of 4 with inside and balcony cabins on deck 9. we loved this! service was sensational! I had a medical emergency and soooo many staff members took the time to help out!
Ship was in excellent condition! Kids loved the various carpet designs and decor throughout the ship. Pool/hot tubs and waterslide were busy, but it seemed that everyone had their fair chance. Lots of loungers, lots of chair hogs as well! Poolside music with "Cruise Edition" was fantastic and we really enjoyed it! It added so much to the experience!
Entertainment was fun! Great shows, experiences! We did not feel pressured for anything! Loved "deal or no deal"!! Sinan!! This guy is a class act and we hope to sail with him again!
My husband loved the casino:)
Kids checked out the kids club...but it seemed like a daycare and they did not want to spend their vacation with toddlers. We allowed them the run of the ship, and they loved it! So much for them to do!!
Spa...I bought More the pass, but due to my medical situation, I was only able to enjoy the spa one time. It broke my heart because it was a wonderful place of serenity! I will certainly buy the pass again!!
Food was in abundance and was really good! Buffet was busy and lots of people with no manners! That is not NCL's fault:) MDR was always busy and service could be slow. We came to enjoy the pace and not being rushed in and out. Teppanyaki was a good show. Poor service from the hostess and server though! Moderno was excellent! Blue Lagoon was a favorite for us! Pizza delivery was a nice treat as well!! Room service menu is limited, but wonderful!!
So much praise for our room steward (and his colleagues on our floor). We cannot thank you enough for your constant attention, smiles, songs and genuine caring.
Thank you NCL for an amazing family vacation! We will absolutely sail with you again!!!! Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Nine 9544

Our cabins were port side near fwd elevators. A short walk to midship. Quiet location! Excellent views from balcony! We found both cabins to be more than spacious enough for 2 people in each. Would be a little squishy with more in the room.

We enjoyed this beach day! A few locals walking around trying to sell stuff, but a polite "no thank you" was all that was needed. Beach chairs/loungers NEED to be replaced. They are broken!!! This is our only complaint! Even the chairs available to rent were nothing special! Step up NCL and replace those chairs!!! I needed a regular chair and one was brought to me without any trouble. Food offered was good, but a little pricey for the portions. The beach/water was great! Very clean! Gentle enough for little ones, but enough waves for my tweens! Some success with snorkelling! Everything was in close proximity. Tender ride was short and sweet.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

we were in port from 3-9pm. NOTHING to do at this port with tweens!!
Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

We did not actually stay on this island! We took the "Dolphin Discovery" excursion which was a short ferry ride over to Anguilla. We LOVED this excursion! We did the swim portion first thing, and to our surprise they had a small area set up for some snorkelling as well! We then had time to romp in the water and rest on the beach. Lunch was included. A great family day!

We went to Sapphire Beach on our own. Short taxi ride. Beach was gorgeous! However...the surf was very rough! There was also a huge drop off as you walked into the water, and several people fell going in and out of the water! Snorkelling was non-existent at this location. Locals said there was an area to snorkel, but nobody was allowed there! All we saw was sea grass and a few white fish. Nothing special as I had previously been told about. A major letdown! Iguanas were friendly and the kids loved them! Food was very expensive...we skipped it after seeing the prices.
Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews