“Not great but not too bad”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas

weedpindle100 Majesty of the Seas 4 Not great but not too bad
weedpindle100
Member Since 2008
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

If you are a die hard RCI fan or if you are a first timer, this shorty cruise is for you. If you need just a little more than adequate, perhaps another cruise line. Nothing really wrong with this ship, just that little spark was missing. My 15th or so cruise, 2nd with RCI (Jewel Of The Seas New England cruise 2008). After that one, I swore I would never sail with RCI again, but this cruise fit my schedule, went to Key West, a new port for me, and was just long enough to see if my Bride liked cruising. She Does. Booked Princess to Alaska already.

The Sovereign class of ships (Majesty & Monarch) are the oldest and smallest of RCI's fleet (hard to believe that when launched, this class of ship was the biggest in the world, now they are among the smallest of the modern cruise ships. The Majesty is like a old gal who is just past her prime but is trying to hold onto that young dude she met in a bar last night. (I don't mean to offend you gals, if I did, forgive me) Just a little dowdy, nothing too worn.

Odd layout, with cabins and public spaces mixed on nearly every deck, so we won't stroll from the pointy part to the round part on one deck of public spaces will we. Pretty clean, ceilings all over the ship looked like they were 20 years old and never touched, the one area of semi-neglect.Public areas never seemed crowded except the deck 11 pool area, which was a zoo. Always. It was Spring Break. Don't go on Spring Break cruise unless you wanna see a bunch of intoxicated young ladies in bikini's running about at all hours. The young gentlemens who were on the prowl for those young ladies were much better behaved.

Schooner bar was the place we gravitated to, nice and big, much bigger than the Jewel.They poured with a heavy hand, they did. Trivia held there, won once, a second and a third also, cheap prizes (Chintzy plastic luggage tags and a yellow hi-lighter pen for the win). Lots of windows, but hard to see out of due to sea spray dried upon them, I guess. They need to clean them, please. Every window on the ship was cruddy. Every one of them.

Never a wait for a table in the Windjammer, and due to all the young persons hanging at the pool, never a lack of seats in the main showroom (the juggler was pretty good, never dropped a thing).

Every night, lots of stuff for sale on tables outside the shops on board, always can tell the quality of the cruise by the prices on said stuff. The Majesty had pretty cheap stuff.

Food. Better than I expected, better than the Jewel, although far far from gourmet, most was passable except once at dinner, myself and two table mates got the house steak and none of us finished it. It just was not eatable. Windjammer for breakfast and lunch was that so-so Las Vegas buffet food, OK,but... Went to Johnny Rockets for lunch while at Coco Cay, 4.95 cover and that didn't include the milkshake. Nickle and dime me to death, please. Deli didn't have anything I wanted, and the pizza looked ugly. Service charge for room service after Midnight too.

Nassau was Nassau, went to Atlantis, (wife won 85.00 so we came away ahead).At Coco Cay, walked right onto the tender (went early, later tenders had a looong wait). Coco Cay fine if you are a beachy person, we are not. Went to Key West, took the Conch Train Tour (interesting), marked the place off my bucket list.

Sat at a table for 10, nice people, 2 of the couples played trivia with us every day (unplanned, we all just play trivia every cruise). Six of the other table mates were multiple RCI cruisers with no other cruise lines under their belts. One guy on the ship had over 700 cruise days with RCI. Whew.

The one thing that bugged me, everybody, security, bartenders, everybody that sees your seapass card calls you by your first name, like they are an old friend. Well, they are not. They do it every time, like its the law (which I'm sure it is).

All in all, it was an OK cruise, 6 out of 10.

Majesty of the Seas Cruises to the Bahamas
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean View Stateroom

F15590
5590 - Tiny bath, dated, somewhat worn. Cabin clean, tiny. Mini bar setup takes up too much space. Dirty window (outside).

Published 03/15/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Majesty of the Seas Review
Majesty of the Seas Cruises to the Bahamas
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?