Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by tazmi2

Cruise Date: February 2013
Cabin Category: D6
Public Rooms Not Rated

Smoking on Balcony
03/03/13,,,,Recently my wife and I cruised for 14 days on Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas. We have sailed 65 times during the past 40 years mostly on Royal Caribbean. As a Diamond Plus member I am sure we will sailing with them soon.

The Allure of the Seas is a must see. The cabin we had chosen for out back to back sailing was on deck 14 was near in aft area, in the category of D-6. Our cabin size was smaller than other Royal Caribbean balcony cabins. The few less square feet can really make a difference. I suggest checking the Square feet of the cabin before booking your cruise. Depending on your taste of entertainment for family's with younger kids some of the shows may not for them. Parents should do a little research planning to have the little ones attend. The food and service outstanding. I had no trouble finding something to enjoy each day. The staff could not be better. In the Windjammer staff seemed interested in your day. After the second night we decided to avoid the main dining room and eat in the Windjammer. By 7 pm the crowds had left and there was pleasant music being played. Great selection of food to choose from. My the end of our first week the staff new us my name.

This cruise line has only taken minor measures to separate smokers from non smokers. There is a open bar in the forward area across from Starbucks just pass the shops. A few smoker would gather in there and makes the area smells really bad. Above the bar is the open air Diamond lounge. I did not use this area in the evening.

If your the type of traveler that enjoys the ocean and wants to enjoy the balcony and smoke this is the ship for you Royal Caribbean allows anyone to smoke there. They will even provide you with an industrial type ash tray. If your a non smoker keep your door closed and only think of what the smokers are enjoying out there. Even if you open your balcony door it only takes a short time for your cabin to smell like an ash tray. Why spend the extra money for a balcony. We were unable to enjoy breakfast on the balcony during our recent sailing. The smokers next to us had a great time and all paid the same rate as us. You can book an inside cabin with a balcony. Smoking is not permitted. The problem then is you can't see the ocean. You can look into the cabins across the way to see what other passenger are doing while listening to all the noise from yelling kids and adults day and night without leaving your cabin.

This review not ment to be against the rights of anyone wishing to smoke or not smoke. Royal Caribbean needs to address the issue in away that allow everyone ability to enjoy the vacation experience. At present time passenger seem to be pitted against another passenger who wish to smoke on the balcony while others non smokers just want to read a book and listen to sound of the sea. I understand that I could have gone to the pool area to read. I paid for a balcony to get away from the crowds and relax.

If your think of calling the front desk is really a waste of time. The Assistant Front Desk Manager response to the problem was " I am sorry this is an ongoing issue. Royal Caribbean corporate Office knows of the issue and we advised them each week of the issue and many complains. Until the decision is made we cant' do anything". I can't even move you another room. This ship is full and no other balcony cabins are available. I was offered a inside cabin on a lower deck. I wish the cruise line would decide to make one side of the ship smoking and the other non smoking. Its time for smokers and non smokers to ask the cruise lines to address this issue so we can all enjoy our cruise experience.

Publication Date: 03/15/13