Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by cocoandstephen: Gorgeous Mariner of the Seas

cocoandstephen
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Gorgeous Mariner of the Seas

Sail Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

We booked a hotel room the night before so we would be well rested for the cruise. We arrived around noon and waited for over an hour to board, due to the number of people. We found a seat and waited patiently.

Once on board, we found our room and unpacked our carry-on items and our luggage arrived soon after, all but one. The last showed up around 5:00. Our room was clean but I did ask the steward to clean the bathroom again when he had time, due to the smell of urine. I hate to mention that, but it did smell.

We brought our own memory foam mattress topper, so we placed that on the bed ourselves and went out to explore this gorgeous ship.

Food: Dinner in the Dining Room (Sound of Music) was Excellent every night.
Windjammer was very good, abundant and normal buffet style food with many
choices from which to choose. If you don't like something, go get
something else. We never had a problem or issue with this nice cafe. More
Jade Restaurant: We only ate the Sushi before a late dinner once and my
husband liked it. It's not first-quality, but very good.
Cafe Promenade: Nice place for coffee, tea and light snacks. Also a good
place to get extra creamers for your room.

Entertainment: We loved it! We went every night and sat on the 4th or 5th row.
Please remember, you are on a ship. It's not Broadway. You
will appreciate the hard work and talent of these performers.
"The Unexpected Boys" were our favorite. Such talented young
men! They were all good.
Best: The Ice Skating Show! Please get your tickets. Excellent

Pools: Very, very small. Nice place to just hang out and enjoy the sea. Good music and lots of nice people. My husband did the rock climbing wall and loved it. I loved the walking/running track.

Excursions: In Cozumel we did the Beach Buggies and met at Cozumel Resort Hotel. We went all around the island, snorkeling (not very much to see) and then lunch at the hotel. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who would like to see the island in a convertible style car. Please make sure to verify that you will be driving your own car and not sharing with others. When we arrived, they tried to say that we would be sharing. Once you see these little cars, you would think there is no way two could fit in the back seat. I would recommend you verify that fact when you call to reserve.

In Grand Cayman: We arrived to a chaotic mess in Grand Cayman with the crowds of people arriving in a small area with tour personnel holding signs and yelling for people to take their tours. Everyone seemed so confused and Royal
Caribbean or Grand Cayman Port Authority really needs to do something about this confusing area. Once you get going to your tour, it's very nice, clean and with no worries for safety.
We did Dolphin Cove. I made our reservations online. There was quite a bit of confusion from Dolphin Cove and our tour time. They reserved our time, yet made us wait around at the port for an hour before they took us to Dolphin Cove. Once there, we had to wait 2 hours for our group with the dolphins. They seemed to be so busy and over crowded that day. The personnel seemed a bit stressed and one gentleman by the name of Jeremy, was absolutely the rudest person. I could not believe they allowed this man to continue working here.
Once we had our turn with the dolphins, it was wonderful. We had Nemo and he was simply amazing. The trainer was very good with him and she seemed to love her job. I would recommend reserving online but give yourself a break and try for the 1:00 or 2:00 tour. They take good care to make sure you are back in the port area in plenty of time.

Jamaica: Wow. To sum up Jamaica. We had our concerns and reservations about going to Jamaica but they were all put to rest when we arrived. It is a beautiful port with new streets at the dock with shops and no one asks you more than once to buy something. No rude behavior and no hassles here.
We used Peat Taylor Tours and his son, Peat Jr. (Repeat or PJ) He is a very polite and intelligent young man with tons of character and seemed to be a gentle soul, a gorgeous smile, with dimples. Such a great young man. He picked us up right outside the port shopping area, as he said. We drove about
40 minutes to Ocho Rios to Irie Blue Hole and some call it Secret Falls. It was simply gorgeous. They have different cliff jumps and the guys that work there jump and entertain you. They will even help you up steps and take lots of pictures for you with your camera. They are very talented young men and take pride in their jobs. Safety is their number one concern here.
It is a good place to jump, swim and be in awe of the scenery here in this little oasis. They have very small jumps for the less adventurous.
Feel free to leave your items in the car with Peat Taylor Tours. They will be there when you return. However, I would leave extreme valuables in the ship/hotel safe, just as a precaution. We had a huge backpack full of items and left it each time we stopped. No problems here.
After swimming we had lunch at Scotchies. It deserves the rave reviews and has great jerk chicken. Peat Jr. said he eats there at least once a week.

All in all, great cruise. I wouldn't change a thing. We are kind of easy-going people so we really enjoyed relaxing, eating great food and just being together in these wonderful places. God is amazing and you will see how He can bless you even in the most remote places.

I hope you enjoy your cruise! Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 8516

We stayed in cabin 8516. It was the first cabin balcony and we loved it. It had the curved glass so we could see the front of the ship, helicopter pad and where we were going. Great balcony. Bring a mattress pad if your body is sensitive to lesser quality beds. We brought a memory foam pad and we were so glad we did. You can also order a mattress pad with Royal Caribbean to be placed on your bed upon arrival. We did this as well but it's very very thin. Overall, nice cabin. Plenty of room for 2 away from elevator, hallway noise.

Dune Buggy

(5)
Good experience. Lots of sunshine, fresh air and beautiful beaches. Make sure they know you want your OWN buggy.

Peat Taylor Tours Check their website. http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/ They offer many excursions. Very trust worthy and make sure you are back in plenty of time to shop a little before you have to board your ship. I really could go on about them but I won't bore. Great from first email to the last "thank you email" when I arrived home.
Read 471 Falmouth Reviews

Dolphin Swim

(2)
Dolphin Cove personnel seemed to be a little stressed out and a man named Jeremy was the rudest I've seen in a while. The trainers are wonderful and seem to love their jobs. Try to book at 1:00 or 2:00 for ease.