Carnival Legend Cruise Review by sapphire1166

Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 7A

Could Be Better, Could Be a Lot Worse
My husband and I sailed on the Legend in early March 2013. Overall, we had a very nice cruise and I can't complain much. However, there are a few things holding the Legend back from being a 4 or 5 star cruise. The ship is older and is beginning to show its age in little details. It was always clean and maintained, but one can't help noticing the little things. The decor is also hideous. I'm well versed with tacky Carnival decor, but usually it's so tacky it works. Not on the Legend. Here's my breakdown of the categories that stood out to me:

FOOD: Overall, the food in the main dining room was much better than the fare offered on the Lido deck (except for breakfast). The Lido deck food wasn't bad and there was more than enough variety to please everyone. However, nothing really stood out to me and the food had a cheap buffet feel to it. When I heard some passengers raving about the deli station I went there and ordered a grilled cheese sandwich. I received a sandwich with nice grill marks on the bread with completely ice cold, un-melted cheese inside. Pizza was hit or miss depending on the day. The eggs for breakfast always seemed extra wet and didn't appeal to me at all. The gourmet burger in the main dining room was one of the best I've had in recent years, so definitely give that a try.

ROOM: We had an obstructed view balcony room (5171) and were pleasantly surprised that the view wasn't bad at all. With that being said, the room itself was okay, but not great. The size was decent and there was plenty of closet space. However, there were lots of little things wrong with the room that really showed it could use an overhaul. Our TV remote had dead batteries. The TV was big, boxy, and had a very grainy picture. Our phone worked, but the Wake Up Call feature wasn't useable. The bed was BAD; it had two sunken-in spots on each side and was extremely stiff. However, the comforter, linens, and pillows were all very nice. Also, be aware that there is only one electrical outlet in the entire room. I've been on two previous Carnival cruises before that each had two outlets in the room, so I wasn't prepared for only one. The bathroom was decently sized, and the shower always had good pressure and temperature.

SERVICE: As usual per cruises the service on the Legend was pretty spot on, with a few exceptions. Our room steward was friendly and our room was always cleaned thoroughly twice and day and kept well-stocked. She even supplied ice twice a day since asking for it on our 1st day. My hat goes off to Clive in the dining room. We opted for Anytime Dining and received two lackluster and slow servers the first two nights before sitting in Clive's section. After meeting him and his staff, we requested his section for the rest of the cruise. He was friendly, fast, and accommodating. We ordered room service for breakfast three times, and while it always arrived right on time (or even early), each and every time it was missing one or more items. That got frustrating.

ENTERTAINMENT: It is what you make of it. For the most part there is nearly always something to do on the ship, especially at night. My husband and I don't gamble, so we partook in trivia, game shows, karaoke, magic shows, comedy shows, musicals in the Follies, the illusionist show, and multiple other things. Some events were way better than others, but I don't regret going to any of them. I especially liked the SuperStar Karaoke, where singers got to sing with a live band. While it wasn't Grade A entertainment, it was pretty decent for a cruise ship and I think there was something to appeal to everyone.

OTHER PASSENGERS: I'm not sure if it was just me, but 30% of the ship seemed to consist of spring-breakers, 45% of people over 50, 15% of families, and maybe 10% in the 25-35 age group. We didn't meet a lot of people our age, but that didn't bother us. We ended up meeting quite a lot of older couples and had a blast with some of them. For the most part, other passengers were considerate and friendly, with the exception of a group of wannabe MILFS who were loud, drunk, and obnoxious most nights. We had some issues with neighbors slamming their balcony door at odd hours in the night and lots of cigarette smoking in the pool areas. I tried to stay mostly in the Serenity adult area and for the most part, I didn't encounter as much chair hogging as I have in previous cruises. However, on the last day I went there at 9:30 am to find every single chair taken, because 75% of all the chairs were "claimed" with towels. Since it was the last day, I wasn't too upset.

PORTS OF CALL/EXCURSIONS: I've been to Cozumel before, but they've changed the port since I was last there many years ago. It seems much more touristy now. We opted for the Salsa and Salsa excursion there, and it was a load of fun! I highly recommend it. Belize is pretty depressing, poor, and a little scary. We did a private Mayan Ruins tour and we weren't happy with the tour itself, although the ruins were quite interesting. Mahagony Bay is absolutely breath-taking from the ship. We opted for the Magical Flying Beach Chair and Day at the Beach excursion. It was a giant waste of money. The "beach" was way too commercial and sterile. It reminded me of DisneyLand. Music was blasting way too loud from the nearby shops and the "clam shell" we received was in the 3rd row behind many other chairs, so we had absolutely no view. Next time we'll opt for an actual excursion to see the island. Grand Cayman was beautiful as always. We opted for the Sting Ray City tour, and got to swim with the sting rays. It was a blast, although I was constantly afraid I'd step on one.

EMBARKATION/DEBARKATION: Both ways were a breeze. While there was definitely more of a line and wait for embarkation, it was still a very smooth process. We opted for the Self Assist during debarkation and got off the ship insanely fast with no wait. Great experience with both of these.

Overall, I wouldn't dissuade anyone from sailing on the Legend. We had fun, met great people, and had a memorable vacation. However, if you have other options in the same price range with similar ports of call you may want to consider those instead.

Publication Date: 03/13/13