Carnival Dream Cruise Review by jim_geico: Dream Cruise a bit disapointing

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Dream Cruise a bit disapointing

Sail Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We had decided to pay the extra money to upgrade to a balcony for the first time. We thought that a cabin on the 10th deck would be perfect for accessing the most important entertain sites. The first night was certainly a rock and roll affair because of the weather. By morning, the stateroom was quite cold and the touch around the frame of the balcony door and window was bitter cold. We contacted room service without satisfaction although they had promised a response. I ended up after a reasonable wait of several hours, going to Guest Services and making a complaint. We did receive blankets but my bigger complaint was why there was not a better solution for the very cold room.

I could be wrong but I believe it was the location of the stateroom with a balcony that was poorly insulated, the room was not properly heated or a combination of both. By noon on Sunday off the Florida Keys it was 55 degrees and wind gusts out of the North at 18mph.

Carnival certainly cannot be More blamed for the weather but I do fault their inability to keep staterooms for their passengers comfortable. Because of the weather out bound on Saturday and Sunday as well as the return trip on Friday and docking on Saturday, March 9th, the use of the balcony was somewhat restricted. In fact, during the cruise on Wednesday, March 6th, they actually notified passengers that the balconies would be closed for cleaning from 8am to 12:30pm. There was no opt-out option. Do I feel like the extra money paid to upgrade to a Balcony Stateroom was worth it? CERTAINLY NOT! Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Lido 10286

Our personal experience was that the Category F Balcony located on the Lido Deck (Deck 10 - Forward) was not worth the upgrade in cruise fare. Because of the weather, the ship pitched more than I have previously experienced on prior cruises. More concern was that for the first two days it was so cold that spending time on the balcony was quite prohibitive. The framing around the patio door and window was at the time, quite cold to the touch. Even more serious was that either the ship had problems keeping the cabin reasonably warm, there was bad insulation from the balcony or perhaps a combination of both. It became necessary to request blankets. Otherwise, we found the bathroom to be quite adequate. I would say that honestly for someone over six foot and 200+, the twin beds were quite small and I believe they were actually the width of a youth bed. This was a challenge for both my wife and I.

We found that Belize City was not of that much interest to us as Seniors. We do acknowledge their reputation for being one of the best areas for Scuba Diving. Because of port conditions, the ship was required to anchor approximately 3 miles out and transportation to shore facilities was provided by separate barge.

The port visit was scheduled from 7am to 3pm. Since we slept until late breakfast, we had no interest in visiting Costa Maya. There was no shore excursion that had caught our interest and we had heard that tourists needed to be careful of their safety. True or not, I cannot say but, we had no interest in going ashore.

We found as first time visitors the port of Cozumel to be reasonably clean. We had printed from this website a briefing of all the ports that we would be visiting and found the reviews of each port helpful. We found a town square not too far from the pier and took advantage of some reasonable prices on handmaid Mexican blankets. We took a taxi into town for the purpose of having lunch at a highly recommended restaurant called Pancho's Backyard. It was everything the review had said and better. The guests for lunch were about 99 percent tourists from the several ships docked. The service was excellent, the food was excellent and the cleanliness of the restaurant was all that you would expect in any speciality restaurant in the states. A bonus was the beautiful music played a man and woman together on a marimba. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Cozumel. The only downer was that I realized after paying the taxi fares to go to the restaurant, that upon our return to the piers established by Carnival, we found that Pancho's Backyard had establish a restaurant right there on the pier that we had missed on the way out. Cruise Critic may want to update their review.
Read 3123 Cozumel Reviews

The port of Roatan is part of an island just off shore from the mainland of Honduras. Our view from the ship satisfied this port as being in minds eye what I would have expected from viewing a beautiful tropical island. The port is developed by Carnival and contains about a dozen shops in a town square design offering most gifts at a reasonable price for most shoppers. There is a Sky-Tram that you can purchase that will carry you from the shops to a beautiful beach approximately 200 yards away. The Sky-Tram takes you over the tropical forest that separates the two locations. We did find that the cost was in our opinion prohibitive, asking $12 per person for unlimited use. Most folks will go from the shops to the beach and back one time during the days visit. The 200 yard path was wide and well paved and not strenuous in any way for this 75 yr old man. We found several choices at the beach to grab a cold drink of choice and a bite to eat. The prices were what you would expect The beach was very clean with more than ample chairs and recliners on the beach at no cost. We stayed for several hours including a little bit of shopping.
Read 1651 Roatan Reviews