Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by LAKEMI1: Celebrity has raised the bar!

LAKEMI1
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Southern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity has raised the bar!

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Celebrity Eclipse has raised the bar for the cruise industry. The overall feel of the ship is modern elegance with a relaxed feeling, the way a vacation should be.

We arrived at Fort Lauderdale airport and decided to ask the Celebrity representative's if transfers were available as a taxi is approximately $30.00, and that is if traffic flow is good. We decided that the cost of Celebrity transfers, $31.00 for two people, was well worth the money. A very nice bus took us directly to the port and we were able to board the ship by noon.

We arrived at Port Everglades and the embarkation process was smooth, quick, and very well organized. We had upgraded our room two day's prior to sail away, so our sea passes were not ready, but no problem they created them on the spot. We did have to have the cards reactivated three times on the ship on day one because they did not work, but not knowing we were the actual guests in our state room became a standing joke through out the More cruise. the on board staff really worked at attempting to make it right, but if the original guests in at room want to pay the bill that would be fantastic because we were call by their names through-out the entire cruise. Oh well, I did make sure my Celebrity Captains Club reflects the fact that I am now an elite member!

The first evening we decided to eat at the Tuscan Grill, what a joy!. Our waiter was Blagovj and assistant waiter was Angela. The sommelier was Javvy. We felt like we were in a 5 star restaurant and the service was over the top. Our dinner was fantastic, in fact we ate there three times during this cruise. I enjoyed the Fillet Mignon and my husband had Shrimp and Scallops, both were fantastic. The french onion soup and Arugula salad were fresh, and fantastic. Dessert was great. I enjoyed the Dark Chocolate fondue served with fresh fruit and marshmallows, a chocolate lovers dream. My husband enjoyed the tiramisu, very good. Through out the dinner we enjoyed wines the sommelier picked out to pair nicely with our many different courses, I wish I had only knew not to eat for a couple of days prior to eating at the Tuscan, because the food is fantastic, the setting is beautiful and romantic and the service definitely 5 star!

We enjoyed lunch the first sea day at the Bistro on Five. Many of the Tuscan staff were working in Bistro on Five serving lunch. Once again a fantastic spot mid ship serving crepes of all kinds, Try the Cowboy, the Mediterranean and the Mexicano with grilled chicken. This was our favorite lunch spot and for the $5.00 up charge it is more than worth the splurge. The dessert crepes are equally as great, as well as the Chocolate brownie dessert.

Qsine specialty restaurant is also fantastic. The concept is very progressive and once you get the hang of the ordering process you will want to come back again and again. You are presented with a IPAD and you select 5 "tours" from around the world. These tours are tastings (tapas) from different places around the world. You then share these food items with those at your table and it is more than enough food, you will not walk away hungry. I would have to say my favorite items were the BBQ spring rolls, the Mediterranean box, the Asian and the fillet mignon (I usually do not eat red meat and the Eclipse speciality restaurants made me want to eat it over and over again) The dessert was equally great. The Chocolate bar and the gelato were delicious.

The Murano restaurant was also great. The food is very rich and many dishes are prepared table side. They have a great wine list that I discovered I could get in other areas also (you just have to asked and request)

The ships public common areas are open and very comfortable. We never felt crowded except around the pool on sea days, it was difficult to find a lounge by the pool, but we adjusted and the pool butlers keep true to their word, that if a lounge is not occupied for a period of time (I think it is 30 minutes) then they clear the lounge chair off and it is open for use by others--nice feature that is fair for everyone--no more getting up at 0600 while on vacation just to get a spot)Besides there are many nooks and crannies to find a comfortable lounge and enjoy the sunshine/atmosphere.

The lawn club--what an awesome concept and what a unbelievable feel to be lying on blankets under the stars listening to jazz music and hearing the ocean waves splash by. We had mixed feelings about the Lawn club prior to boarding the ship, but one word FANTASTIC!! Wine and cheese nights, Jazz on the lawn, lawn games, Hot glass shows, what more could anyone ask for this is hands down our favorite spot on the ship for just relaxing and feeling like that article you've read about and dreamed about in your favorite travel magazine has come to life and your dream has come true. Truly truly the most relaxing part of the ship, even over the spa.

Common bar areas were nice, the Sunset bar at the back of the ship on deck 14 was always busy. The molecular bar on Deck 5 by the art auction makes the best mixed drinks on the ship and it is never busy, which we cannot figure out why unless it is the cost of the drinks most speciality drinks were $12.00 but if you have the platinum beverage package they are included, but not with the Classic package. Speaking of beverage packages, we had the classic which covers fresh squeezed orange juice, all beverages at the Cafe El Blanch on deck 5, most beers, and wine up to $8.00 a class. They just need a good Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand in that $8.00 price range. These beverage packages are a great way to go and we believe it was worth the money up front to not have the worry of that lofty bill at the end of the cruise. We had the classic package and it was sufficient.

Our state room was comfortable quite and offered plenty of space. our room had a bed by the veranda. Every other room has the bed wither by the veranda or the door. I think the room was so comfortable and quite because it was located near the veranda and mid ship. Perfect location.

The over all cruise ship is First Class, modern, comfortable, clean,and did not have that crowded feeling. The staff and their service is impeccable,top of the line. Only down fall is the average age on our cruise was 75. we had a couple of medical emergencies and hopefully those guest are doing better and are now healthy. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/ Veranda Sunrise Deck (7) 7250

Quite, Midship. bed is located near the veranda not the door. great balcony, very very comfortable

(5.5)
Hands down the MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE RIGHT OUT OF A MAGIZINE!! WE took a ships excursion that was a catamaran lobster and champagne tour. $65.00 and more than worth every penny, no doubt what I would tell everyone to do! I would have to say it was the second most favorite shore excursion I have ever done. What a beautiful island from the water. This island looked like it was straight out of a travel magazine, it was surreal!
Read 802 Antigua Reviews

Eagle and Palm beach beautiful as ever.
Read 682 Aruba Reviews

We went to the boatyard, as it has been recommended on several forums. $5.00 taxi ride per person from the port and $12.00 to enter. which included a free drink and your return shuttle to the port. This spot had way to many people for me but if you like busy touristy beaches you will love this whole area. I would prefer a more quite less crowded beach.
Read 703 Barbados Reviews

This trip we just walked around the town discovering every nook and cranny and off the beaten path. Loved it and the adventure we had just roaming on our own.
Read 502 Curacao Reviews

Take a $25.00 taxi to magazine beach and relax. Just be sure to arrange for the taxi to return to pick you up (it is another $25.00 to return to the pier) the taxi driver wants your business so trust me they return to pick you up.
Read 356 Grenada Reviews

Spencer Ambrose Jalousie Beach tour. Highly recommended. Spencer picks you up at the pier you take a boat ride down to Jalousie Beach and spend the day. He provides a wonderful lunch and drinks (soda, water, rum punch, beer) and there are chairs available for free on a first come first serve basis. You can rent a chair at the Jalousie Beach resort but they ar $50.00 per chair (looks like they want to keep the beach bums from renting their highly rated chairs--but the resort is well worth a stroll and I believe the rooms start around $1200 per night. On the return trip Spencer provides a narrated tour of the island and he returns you to the pier with time still to shop if you so d=desire. Highly recommend Spencer Ambrose tours.

Pinel Inlet. Rented a care drove to the other side of the island and took a very small ferry to Pinel Islet. A beautiful island were you can enjoy the sun, the sand and the water, (don't tell anyone we want to keep it a secret)

WE were looking for a way to St. Johns that allowed us a view of the island from the water and time on the island it's self. WE had 3 1/2 hours of free time on St. Johns and did a wonderful narrated tour of the island via water prior to that. In our free time we went to the recommended Turtle Bay, wish we would have went to Cinnamon Bay, as it would have been less tourist. Taxi ride from pier to Turtle bay was $6.00 each way per person. There is a great Virgin Island brewing company on St. John's that has good IPA's and Stouts and it is within walking distance of the pier where your tour boat takes you back to the ship.
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews