Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by patl95

Member Name: patl95
Cruise Date: February 2013
        10-12 5.0

Western Caribbean Feb 24, 2013
There were 7 in our group. My husband, myself and our 11 year old daughter were in 1 cabin. My parents, my sister and 7 year old niece were in another cabin. We went on this trip for the ship. We wanted to try one of the Oasis class ships...we really didn't care about the ports. This was our 5th (I think) time going to the Western Caribbean

Ours was an inside cabin, which we usually get. The difference this time was that we got a promenade view room. Wow, what a difference, at least I thought so. That window really made the room feel so much bigger. I really liked the fact that the bed for our daughter was a couch that converted to a bed at night as opposed to the pull down kind. I was concerned that the noise from the promenande would come into the room but it really didn't.

We loved the layout of the room - I think the only thing that was a bit of a pain was that if you had the safe open in the closet you couldn't close the door... though that was minor. I thought having the closet right by the bed could be a little inconvenient at times but most times worked great (could sit on the bed and rummage through the shoes). Loved the 2 tables on either side of the bed with the 3 shelves, plenty of places to put books, glasses etc.

There was plenty of closet space (and hangers) for the 3 of us as well as drawers and shelves. Loved the layout of the bathroom too...I know it is still small, but where this one didn't have the sink right in front of the shower it made it seem bigger some how.

Loved having the ipod docking station in the room...saved us from having to use an outlet for the charger. Plus there were 3 outlets on the desk! Wohoo!! We always bring a power strip with us and did use it but only because the outlets seemed "loose" and they worked better on the power strip.

Small thing too - loved the fact that the door to the room opened into the hallway!

Our cabin steward (and if I find his card which I have somewhere here on my desk I will post his name) was awesome! He was so quick - I swear we'd leave the room to go to the dining room and forget something and have to go back 5 minutes later and the room would be done! I know that is a bit of an exaggeration but he was great. Though we did only get towel animals 2 nights out of the 7.

We loved being on deck 7... For some reason that is where we always seem to end up...on this ship we were only 1 floor up from the gym, and 3 floors from the dining room... and near the promenade, boardwalk and central park. So we really didn't use the elevators unless we were going to the pool or to the kids club. Not that there were long waits for the elevators as on other ships we've been on.

We had the first seating for dinner and loved our waiter Constantine and his assistant Tetiana. They were wonderful! On the one night when my mom was sick and couldn't stay through dinner they packed them up their meals so we could bring them to their room.

We thought the food was good as usual. We're not gourmet food people by any stretch...and ate in the dining room every night. Our only disappointment was that there was no escargot. According to Constantine they haven't had it for 2 months! We were really looking forward to that (especially my daughter). But they did make a similar appetizer dish with scallops that both my husband and daughter had a couple of nights and they both said it was yummy! Nothing really stood out for us meal wise...I know they made changes to the menu. We were on the Freedom last February (and the summer before) and they had an onion tort appetizer which we loved but that was no longer offered.

For lunch we tried the buffet which one day I thought was a little lacking but the next time I tried it I thought it was fine. We ate at Central Park (LOVED the roast beef sandwich! Had to have it a couple of times!) and of course the hot dogs :) We also ate at Sorrentos and Park Cafe for lunch (and of course our last night snacks!) We never did try the dining room for lunch for some reason...

For Breakfast we did Johnny Rockets a couple of times (no cover charge for breakfast), the dining room and central park. My only complaint about central park is the seating...there isn't much inside the restaurant...not much out in the park... one day we ended up sitting over at one of the other restaurants that wasn't open for breakfast. It was fine, just made logistics a little hard with a party of 7.

We saw most of the shows. Loved Chicago (was my and my daughters favorite). The diving show was spectacular. The headliner my husband had seen before on the Freedom...he was okay but not great. The ice skating show was really good too. Blue planet was a little strange but entertaining.

My daughter tried the zip line (love it!) and the flow rider. We never did get to do the rock climbing wall...we were going to do it the last day but it was pretty windy so we both chickened out.

I only went in the adult only pool once... but my daughter enjoyed the pools. Finding a seat sometimes was a bit of a challenge but we always managed to find one. The weather was awesome except the last 2 days...we had heard that the cruise the week before they had to cancel the outdoor shows the beginning of the week because the seas were too rough.

I went to the gym every morning...took the 7am and 7:30 am classes which were great. This was the first time I was actually sore from working out on a cruise ship!

We really loved exploring the ship - we tried to check out all the bars (my daughter had her non-alcoholic pina colada in Rising Tides) and lounges. Loved walking in Central Park and on the promenade - great place to people watch! We loved playing trivia - we teamed up with Chris from Germany and we were the team to beat! We one 5 times! Have quite the collection of Royal Caribbean items now :)

Before going on this trip we were afraid it would feel "crowded" with that many people on board - but I can honestly say it never did. I think with all the different areas people just naturally spread out. The only time the promenade ever was crowded was when they had the parades/party's there.

They announced 3 new ships while we were on board...another in the Oasis class and 2 in another that I didn't catch. We will definitely be cruising RCCL again (we did the future booking while on board...just haven't picked a trip yet)....not sure if it will be an Oasis class ship or not... I wouldn't rule it out though! :)

Publication Date: 03/13/13