Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Susanbemore

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Susanbemore
Freedom of the Seas
Cabin Category: FP
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

First time solo cruiser - Lady seeing the world on her own!
I was a solo cruiser who wanted nothing more than to do what I wanted, how I wanted, when I wanted! Oh, and to get a really great tan. I had a promenade room 7263 and was initially concerned that I would be disturbed by the noise down below, but other than the last Dreamworks parade, I couldn't hear a thing as the glass was very thick. Once you get through the gauntlet of embarking...matter of fact that first day I was up at 5 am to catch a 7:30 flight, on top of lines and airport shuttles day one is absolutely draining. So by the evening You may be very sorry if you purchased a first night activity on top of travel. I did not want to interact with a lot of people as this cruise was about recharging myself and I have no problem being alone.

So, all I did was go to the ports, which were Labadee, Haiti, Jamaica, The Caymans, and Cozumel. Haiti was very lovely and is leased by the cruise line. I went on the adult sandbar get away, and even though there were all couples, I made pleasant conversation and enjoyed my rum punch and soak in the ocean. Jamaica gets worse every time I go there. Ladies do not leave the port area by yourself! There are plenty of things to see and do at the port mall unless you are leaving to go on an excursion. it's also the best place to make your alcohol purchases!

The Caymans are ok, but be warned that the exchange rate is .80 cents u.s. to the Cayman 1.25 dollar! I walked about, had local lunch and I purchased fragrance there.

MY favorite place was Cozulmel, Take any excursion that involves a beach break, the people were wonderful and the food and the beaches were beyond beautiful. I purchased refin a there without prescription. However, if you are on medication, do your homework as you can get them there! attend one of the port shopping education seminars as they are very informative! However, realize that many "back room" alliances have been formed to separate you from your money! Be savvy

NOW while the cruise is recommended.... I did not go to many shows as the caliber of entertainment was lower than I expected. The Spa Is amazing, just don't succumb to the hard sale on anything in the ship. You can come away with stress you did not bargain for. Practice saying no! The food in the main dining room was very disappointing as I am a bit of a foodie and have very high expectations. I found it impossible to eat at 8 pm as I was generally tired from the sun, walking and the water, so Frankly, the Windjammer was fine with me ant the food better. Maybe, it's a bit much to coordinate feeding 4000 people. But I didn't gain weight! The walking track and fitness facilities were great as we're the 7 am stretch and ab classes. I also had some great cocktails, the mojito with fresh mint and muddled, was my favorite. Johnny Rocket was very good as well and was my indulgence meal of boca burger, fries, onion rings and root beer float!

I went on a cruise to be refreshed, and renewed, not to pig out and get drunk. My stateroom attendant was amazing, the overall service on the ship was amazing. I never felt unsafe. If you can get the luggage valet, get it, you won't have to touch your luggage again until your home airport. If you have laundry, let them wash it and take it home clean. Get the bottled water service as they are pretty large and you will drink it. I also loved that after being gently rocked to sleep at 11:00, I did not wake up until 6:00 in the morning refreshed and ready to enjoy the day! Prior to the cruise I suffered from stress induced broken sleep.

I have to laugh because at the end of the cruise folks were looking stressed out during the check out process having gotten sick of looking at each other and thier children...I think they were ready for some much needed "me time". Next time I will get a room with a balcony! RCI made sure there was Purell everywhere, and you are steered towards using it, and I suggest you do ...in addition to washing your hands frequently!

Publication Date: 03/13/13