Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Susanbemore: First time solo cruiser - Lady seeing the world on her own!

Susanbemore
Member Since 2013
1 Post

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First time solo cruiser - Lady seeing the world on her own!

Sail Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I was a solo cruiser who wanted nothing more than to do what I wanted, how I wanted, when I wanted! Oh, and to get a really great tan. I had a promenade room 7263 and was initially concerned that I would be disturbed by the noise down below, but other than the last Dreamworks parade, I couldn't hear a thing as the glass was very thick. Once you get through the gauntlet of embarking...matter of fact that first day I was up at 5 am to catch a 7:30 flight, on top of lines and airport shuttles day one is absolutely draining. So by the evening You may be very sorry if you purchased a first night activity on top of travel. I did not want to interact with a lot of people as this cruise was about recharging myself and I have no problem being alone.
So, all I did was go to the ports, which were Labadee, Haiti, Jamaica, The Caymans, and Cozumel. Haiti was very lovely and is leased by the cruise line. I went on the adult sandbar get away, and even though there were all couples, I More made pleasant conversation and enjoyed my rum punch and soak in the ocean. Jamaica gets worse every time I go there. Ladies do not leave the port area by yourself! There are plenty of things to see and do at the port mall unless you are leaving to go on an excursion. it's also the best place to make your alcohol purchases!
The Caymans are ok, but be warned that the exchange rate is .80 cents u.s. to the Cayman 1.25 dollar! I walked about, had local lunch and I purchased fragrance there.
MY favorite place was Cozulmel, Take any excursion that involves a beach break, the people were wonderful and the food and the beaches were beyond beautiful. I purchased refin a there without prescription. However, if you are on medication, do your homework as you can get them there! attend one of the port shopping education seminars as they are very informative! However, realize that many "back room" alliances have been formed to separate you from your money! Be savvyNOW while the cruise is recommended.... I did not go to many shows as the caliber of entertainment was lower than I expected. The Spa Is amazing, just don't succumb to the hard sale on anything in the ship. You can come away with stress you did not bargain for. Practice saying no! The food in the main dining room was very disappointing as I am a bit of a foodie and have very high expectations. I found it impossible to eat at 8 pm as I was generally tired from the sun, walking and the water, so Frankly, the Windjammer was fine with me ant the food better. Maybe, it's a bit much to coordinate feeding 4000 people. But I didn't gain weight! The walking track and fitness facilities were great as we're the 7 am stretch and ab classes. I also had some great cocktails, the mojito with fresh mint and muddled, was my favorite. Johnny Rocket was very good as well and was my indulgence meal of boca burger, fries, onion rings and root beer float!
I went on a cruise to be refreshed, and renewed, not to pig out and get drunk. My stateroom attendant was amazing, the overall service on the ship was amazing. I never felt unsafe. If you can get the luggage valet, get it, you won't have to touch your luggage again until your home airport. If you have laundry, let them wash it and take it home clean. Get the bottled water service as they are pretty large and you will drink it. I also loved that after being gently rocked to sleep at 11:00, I did not wake up until 6:00 in the morning refreshed and ready to enjoy the day! Prior to the cruise I suffered from stress induced broken sleep.
I have to laugh because at the end of the cruise folks were looking stressed out during the check out process having gotten sick of looking at each other and thier children...I think they were ready for some much needed "me time". Next time I will get a room with a balcony! RCI made sure there was Purell everywhere, and you are steered towards using it, and I suggest you do ...in addition to washing your hands frequently! Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Promenade Family Stateroom Deck 8 7263

7263 was great! as a solo room. I can''t imagine sharing the closet space with someone else, Or the bathroom. The water pressure was always great and there was more than enough hot water. I am a 6 feet tall woman.. And I am not skinny...so I need my space... A queen bed is small for me...this room would be ok for a child and an a adult or 2 small adults .... Cuz there was room under the bed for 1 suitcase and the other was in the closet...and just enough hangers for my clothes. I loved the vanity lights on the vanity as I like to wear makeup and have a nice place to put all off my things. The room is forward in the ship and the elevator is close by as well.

Beach Break

(4)
We were taken to. Playa Mia... I would advise you to coordinate that beach break on your own. And then there is the tipping again...the driver, the guide, the person who took you to the beach...it can get a bit ridiculous! BUT Playa Mia Has parasailing and food, drinks and I"m pretty sure you can catch a cab there and spend the day on your own. The water in Cozumel is the most beautiful shade of blur...I have to get back there!

Mayan Ruins

(4)
The Ruins was coordinated well from meeting the guide to checking in and driving to the site. Be forewarned though, the ruins are replicas and I think the site was constructed as a tourist attraction . Still, I like to learn a bit about the history and culture was nice to get out and walk, they provided lots of breaks and cold water.

I left the port fence walking as I thought I could see a bit of the history. DO NOT GO BY YOURSELF, it did not feel safe and I grew up in Detroit. I was a female solo traveller. Either go on a excursion, or stay inside the port fence and do a little shopping and meet fellow cruisers. Have some coconut water, have a blue mountain coffee and ask for some coco bread, there is plenty to do. there may even be another ship on port and you might meet someone to chat with. I had a great time there, but you must be SAFTEY aware! especially if you are traveling alone.
Read 483 Falmouth Reviews

Great if you want to zip line or do the dragon coaster. I found the attitude of the working people to be a little resentful towards us upon first glance so I tried to be friendly to them and not act as another over weight America with an exaggerated sense of entitlement towards them. I went on the adult Sandbar excursions and it was good to swim in the ocean. I will say it was a little sad to see some of the trash people throw about in the water!
Read 364 Labadee Reviews

I walked up and down and about town, felt very safe. I shopped for fragrance and had a local lunch. if you are a U.S. citizen, be aware of the exchange rates in the local shops! There are lots of taxes you can take to the beaches for a few bucks less than the ship. I met a couple who said try the cemetery beach, as it is populated by more locals and a short cheap taxied ride from the pier. I would feel comfortable doing more on my own here.