Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Beth Myers: Mostly Disappointed in Adventure of the Seas

Beth Myers
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Mostly Disappointed in Adventure of the Seas

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

On March 3, 2013, we sailed on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao. I have been on one other cruise, which was on Carnival's Sensation. The Carnival cruise was 10,000 times better than Royal Caribbean.

First, we were very disappointed in the food. On the Carnival cruise ship, people admired other people's plates because the food looked so good, and they shared their meals because the food tasted so good. However, on the Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas, food was cold at times. For example, people at my table were served cold hamburgers and french fries and cold chicken. In addition, the meats were often too tough and dry. The bread was hard and cold, and the desserts were not that great. As a person who doesn't cook much, I was looking forward to another great food experience on a cruise ship, but this was a total disappointment. The food was worse than what I could get at an average buffet in my home city. We More asked if we could be seated in another dining room to see if the food would be any better, but the purser who told me he'd call us never followed up.

Second, the room is too small. We had to squeeze past each other to move in that room. Also, the shower was a narrow cylinder. You had to open the doors to have room to shave your legs.

Third, I called the "1-800" Royal Caribbean phone line before booking the cruise to ask if I could bring seashells home from the islands. One of the main reasons that I chose this cruise was because we enjoy collecting shells, and I had heard that St. Kitts and Aruba have pretty shells. The person on the phone--who works for Royal Caribbean--told me that she didn't know the shell policy. However, it became apparent when our shells were taken away from us and many other people--as we saw boxes of shells under the security tables--that it is Royal Caribbean's policy to not allow shells on the ship. They should have told me the truth about this as it was a key factor in my decision to choose this itinerary and ship, and I find it hard to believe that the woman I spoke to didn't know the shell policy after seeing the number of shells that were taken from people.

Fourth, a lot of the employees on the ship were not friendly, and this surprised me as the Carnival ship was very pleasant consistently. On the Adventure of the Seas, it was hit or miss. I do want to mention a few really nice people, though. Our stateroom attendant, Rafael Soares, was wonderful. He is very welcoming, intelligent, and polite. We really appreciated his outstanding customer service. Also, the woman who greeted people at the Windjammer Cafe was always smiling and friendly. Also, the man in the gym who did the presentation on feet problems was very good. Also, one of the handful of casino people I met (a beautiful brunette with long hair who I think said she was from Romania) was very fun to be around. Otherwise, again, I was mostly disappointed in the customer service of the crew.

Fifth, the shows were just okay, with the exception of the ice-skating show, which was fabulous!

Since the food and the shows should be highlights of a cruise, we were not happy with this ship. Also, since they were not forthcoming about their seashell policy and most of them weren't very friendly, I feel that they just wanted my money and didn't care if I had a good time once they got it. Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6

Our room (8275) was too small. We had to squeeze past each other to walk past the beds and the desk. Also, the shower was a tiny cylinder that you had to open to shave your legs. Ridiculous! They should have at least added another foot or two to the room to make it bearable. Also, there was no dresser.

(5)
We did the See and Sea tour, and Maira was our guide. She was wonderful--very interesting and very fun to be around. This tour goes in a semi-submersible so that you can see the fish. That was cool! Then, you go to the lighthouse, which has a beautiful restaurant that overlooks the ocean as well as goats and pretty lizards. Yep! I can't believe I just called a lizard pretty, but they have turquoise coloring, and they are kind of cute. Then, we saw a natural bridge, which was lovely. Then, we climbed the steps to be on top of some rocks that overlook part of the island, which provided a lovely view. There are a lot of cactus, so it was interesting. FYI, we did not see this, but Maira mentioned that boa constrictors are an invasive species on the island.

(2)
The woman who took us around the city area was very nice and informative, but we were a little bored, and we wish that we had just done the city sight-seeing on our own. In any case, the city has all those multi-colored buildings, which are so picturesque. We really enjoyed seeing the city. Later, we went to Cocomo Beach, which has a beautiful water color, but there are a lot of rocks on the ocean floor. Also, a store manager told us to be careful not to step on a certain type of fish that looks like a rock and can sting you. So, I was a little uncomfortable about that. Needless to say, I didn't do much walking in the water. I swam out to the floating deck and enjoyed the views.

We went to Cockleshell Beach, which was very pretty. Some people who work on the beach bring the green monkeys around so that you can get your picture taken with them. The monkeys are very cute! There are seashells, but don't bother collecting them because the ship won't let you bring them onboard--something that really bothered me since I told the lady who booked my reservation that this was a key reason I wanted to do this intinerary. Finally, I would not recommend eating on this island. We stopped at another beach for lunch, and we saw a lot of flies on the food. So, we went back to the ship to eat.

(4)
We went to Beacon Point, Mountain Top, and St. Peter the Great's House to see the views from the mountains. The views were gorgeous. My only complaint is the stops are very short (about 15-25 minutes), so it doesn't give you a lot of time to shop for souveniers.