Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by danfitz: Outstanding crew!!

danfitz
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Outstanding crew!!

Sail Date: March 2013

I have read a lot of the other reviews with regard to the whole bathroom/shower issue and did not find it to be a problem or as bad as some have made it out to be. For us, it was a non-issue.

Our balcony room was nice. At first I was a little concerned since our balcony directly overlooked lifeboat #9, but in fact, it seemed a little wider than the balconys above use and was much bigger than the last Norwegian ship we cruised.

The food was good, a nice selection each day at the buffet and no problems finding a place to sit. No issues at any of the other venues, and we found the "regualr" food good enough that we didnt need to spend extra money on pay dining options.

We really enjoyed the America's Cup sailing in St. Maarten. It was a blast!. Magan's Bay in St. Thomas was another story altogether. I am not certain who named it as one of the Top Ten beaches, but it was quite a let down. We only got to spend about 2 hours there, and the bus ride to and from took More almost as long. It was crowded, littered and smelly.

We were unable to have an excursion in Nassau because.... here is where the fun begins

On Wednesday night (day 4 for those of you who are counting) it was necessary for me to be airlifted by US Coast Guard helicopter off the ship. I hear tell that another individual was also airlifted the same night. The crew coold not have been more helpful. Due to space restrictions, no one could join me in the helicopter. My significant other was left alone on the ship needing to contact family, medical personnel and make arrangements for both of us to get home. One of us from Puerto Rice, the other from the Bahamas two days later. The whole chain of command (other then the captain himself) personally made certain that my companion had everything he needed and access to telephones and computers. They also checked in regularly to make sure everything was taken care of. When it was time to leave the ship in Nassau (a day earlier than planned), my companion was escorted by the ships hotel director to Bahamian Customs with an armed guard and led by the hand through the whole long process. I cannot thank the crew of this ship enough for all they did for us.

As for the other passengers. I dont know why I am shocked at their behavior, nothing should surprise me anymore. Running through the hallways, on a stretcher, accompanied by at least 7 medical personnel and staff, wouold you try to get on the same elevator? You are in that much of a hurry that someone has to explain to you that "no, this elevator is being used for an emergency?" When the captain asks the passengers to please clear certain areas of the ship due to a medical emergency and the need for an airlift, really you have to stand right there so you can watch? Have you posted it to youtube yet?

Finally, obviously the ship had to be slowed for the first airlift, due to helicopter flight range. Also obviously, a second emergency just after the first will require a continued slowing or even, gasp, a stop of the ship. Now, let me explain, I understand you were 45 minutes late to your excursion in Nassau. I apologize. I also hope that none of your loved ones ever have a medical emergency that disrupts the lives of an entire cruise ship. I hope that you never have to stand helplessly on the deck as they are flown away, with you unable to get information as to their medical state. But if that ever, ever happens to you. I WILL NOT COMPLAIN THAT I AM 45 MINUTES LATE to the next port. Neither I nor the other passenger with a medical emergency wanted to disembark in the manner in which we did. we wanted to enjoy our vacations as much as you. But for any of you to have complained enough for it to come to the attention of the Captain? To have the Captain remind you that two lives were saved? Grow up. All of you.

My trip was great, for the 4 days I got to have. I wish I could get right back on that big boat and have another week, much less stressful, and much less excitement, one (or two) less helicopter.

Thank you Epic crew. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Family Balcony Stateroom Deck 13

Great storage, great balcony, a bit of a hike.