Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by carribbound

Carnival Freedom
Member Name: carribbound
Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: other
See More About: Carnival Freedom Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Freedom in February
This is my 9th cruise overall. Seven being with Carnival, one with Princess and one with Celebrity. I found myself completely satisfied with my 8 day cruise.

Embarkation: We arrived via transfer from the Miami airport at the Port Everglades cruise terminal around 1:30 pm. It was easy to see where we needed to go and they had plenty of staff around directing. We got in line which was divided up by cabin numbers. Ex: these cabin numbers in line to the left and these cabin numbers in line to the right. Waited in line about 20 minutes before getting to an agent. She checked us in withing five minutes. Then we were on our way to the ship.

Room: We had a 6C Oceanview room (2372-starboard). This room was adequate and was like previous Carnival 6C rooms I have had in the past. We got up to our room around 2:15-2:30. Our checked bags were not there. We had three guests in our room and it was set up as such.

Food: I felt that the food was above average. We had breakfast at the buffet every morning. I visited the omelete station on a daily basis. Love them!! Food as same as usual. They alternated pancakes and french toast every other day as usual. We had lunch on the ship only on sea days. The buffet and the grill were above average. The deli was a nice alternate. I love the pickles from the deli. The pizza was not to my liking. Too much sauce for my preference. We never tried the Mongolian grill or the other Asian venue. For dinner, we ate in the dining room a few times and the alternate venues as well. They serve some of the main dishes in the buffet as they do in the dining room. My travel partners report that the seafood was average. There was a nice selection of alternate choices in the dining room. It took about an hour and a half to eat. We had "Your time" dining and arrived right at 5:45 each time with no more than a 10 minute wait. We had the same table and same waiter each time.

Entertainment: We went to the Victoriana Theatre for the Beatles tribute show, Ticket To Ride and found that to be entertaining. Also, we saw Jump, Jive and Wail and that too was a great show. We attended 5 adult only comedy shows and found them to be hilarious. Very good comedians!! These shows took place in the International Lounge and were packed, so get there early. They were worth the wait!!! We also saw the usual Not-so-newlywed show and some other trivia shows that were predicatable if you have seen them before. Overall the entertainment was great!

Ports: We visited Grand Turk, Tortola, San Juan and St. Thomas. All these ports were nice stops.

Grand Turk was nice in the fact that it has a beach right there where the ship is docked. We had the semi sub excursion booked for this port at 8:00am. We headed down at 7:40 and arrived at floor 0 to get off only to find out that the gangway was being closed due to a ship pulling in. I didnt think it was a big deal as my excursion was booked through the ship. We were allowed to get off at 8:10 and proceeded to the excursion representative only to find out that the tour left without us. Despite my plea that the gangway was closed. He said they announced that the gangway was closing at 7:55. Um No, we were there at 745 and it was closed then. Then he told us that the 9:45 excursion was sold out, but if we wanted to come by in case two people didnt show up, then we could join them. Um no, I would like a full refund which they gave us at the shore excursions desk without question. This was crazy to me as I was on my 9th cruise and have never experienced a closed gangway.

Tortola: We did the excursion to The Baths in Virgin Gorda and loved it. Too many people on the excursion as usual. A little over priced for what they offered.

San Juan: We strolled around Old San Juan and had a few drinks around town.

St. Thoms: Spent too much money shopping!! We went up to Paradise Point which was $20 and the same beautiful post card picture opportunity as it has been in the past.

Sea Days: We did witness deck staff tagging deck chairs that were being saved with belonging with times but never saw anybodys stuff removed. Lots of chair saving. Plenty of bar staff around. The usual pool entertainment like hairy chest competition, etc.

Debarkation: We did self assist debarkation and we were off the ship by 7:00am. Very smooth.

Summary: Overall this was a nice cruise. Everything was clean and staff was friendly. I really wish Carnival would change the pools to fresh water and do away with the salt water. I would consider this ship again for future cruises.

Publication Date: 03/12/13