Disney Dream Cruise Review by dlock82: Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamian Cruse

Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamian Cruse

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Previous cruise experience: Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas February 2011.

We sailed out of Port Canaveral on a three night Bahamian cruise on the Disney Dream. Knowing Disney's standards are high, we had very high expectations, probably to high in fact as we were disappointed in some areas.

We traveled with another family from work. My family included myself, my wife and 13 month old son. The other family had a four year old son.

Ship: The ship was in great shape and the Disney obsession with attention to detail was definitely present. There was plenty of room on the ship to move around.

Stateroom: The stateroom had plenty of room for our family, we were in category 05C which had a balcony. The queen bed was very comfortable and if needed the couch turns into another bed as well as a bunk that comes down from the ceiling. The bathroom featured Disney's split design where there is a sink and toilet in one room and a sink and the shower/tub More in another separate room. The bathtub was the perfect size (normal rectangle shape, some larger rooms have round), but the fact that it had a bathtub/shower instead of just a shower proves the point that this was designed with family in mind. The hall way/area at the end of the bed was a little cramped particularly with wheeling a stroller in and out but over all the room was comfortable. Our room steward was extremely nice.

Dining/Food: Breakfast and lunch was served in Cabana's on deck 11. This featured buffet style food which was really good. We never went hungry. It could get a bit busy/crowded but we never had a problem finding a table. You could eat indoors or out. For dinner our three night cruise featured Disney's "rotational" dining where we were in a different dining room each night, our wait staff (waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter) moved with us to each dining room. Dinner become a bit on long side with a one year old (about two hours one night) because they served everything in courses (appetizers, then soups, then salads, then main course etc) so if one person in the party ordered a soup, everyone else would wait for the next course. So as I said this could be a bit lengthy with small children. My wife and I can be a bit picky about food so the one night nothing appealed to us, thinking they would go out of their way to make us happy my wife ordered off of the kids menu (tenders and fries), the waiter didn't take her serious and talked her into something she didn't want...he did not make that mistake with me and I ate happily off of the kids menu. Still the wait staff shouldn't make guests feel uncomfortable. The final night we went to the Cabana's because our "Navigator" said it would be opening at 6.30pm (45 minutes past our scheduled seating in the main dining rooms), when we arrived at 6:15 the staff said that Cabana's was going to be closed for the remainder of the cruise for cleaning. A supervisor quickly sent us down to our scheduled dining room to eat dinner...needless to say dinner was served a little quicker on the final night. Out of the three dining rooms...Animator's Palate, Enchanted Garden (reminded me of wedding...crashed by a bunch of pirates) and the Royal Palace, I enjoyed Animator's Palate the most and the menu that night. Over all the food was very good. And yes Crush is talking to you so don't ignore him.

Activities: The ship is definitely child friendly however there is little activity for the under three crowd except the nursery. Disney needs to improve in this area. While we preferred to keep our son with us for the most part, some additional play activities would have been nice that didn't require us to leave him. Nemo's reef was not an option for us because unfortunately the weather on our sailing was very chilly. My wife and I tried the Aquaduck and it was fun, but just fun enough to wait in line for 20 minutes once.

Ports: Nassau...our second time here, nothing exciting. We elected to skip the excursions because our son was so young. If you aren't going out to Paradise Island there isn't much in the port in my opinion.

Castaway Cay was our second port of call and it looked like a beautiful island that could be a lot of fun however it was so cold when we stopped that all of the excursions were cancelled and we could not go to the beach as planned. We were off of the boat for less than hour before having to get back on. I look forward to visiting someday when the weather is better.

Final Thoughts: Overall the cruise was very nice, we are still Disney fans and we will probably cruise on Disney again having a young child(ren) but Royal Caribbean is still our preferred cruise line. Again, Disney needs to improve on activities for children under three. We will not take another three night cruise on any line if we can help it as it was too short especially traveling from Michigan to sail, but this had nothing to do with the cruise line itself, just logistics of going for such a short period of time. Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Dream Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah Deck 7 7060

Great location on the ship. Deck 7 is not to high or low on the ship and located between the forward and midship elevators/stairs. Plenty of space for a family of three or four. Split bathrooms and balcony are definitely positives. Bring a power strip.

We were looking forward to this stop and planning a beach day. The weather unfortunately was about 50 degrees and very windy with some rain. We did not get to thoroughly experience or enjoy this port.

This was our second visit to Nassau. We did not take any excursions. If you don't take any excursions there isn't much to do here other than shop for souvenirs. The Rum cakes are good!
Read 2631 Nassau Reviews