Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by paulajj: Best cruise yet...except disembarcation

paulajj
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Southern Caribbean Cruises

Best cruise yet...except disembarcation

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This was our second cruise with Celebrity, our first being an 11 day on the Equinox. We booked the same cabin. An inside room on deck 11. The room is a perfect size. The bathroom is very large. The only thing I would change is taking away the couch and adding more storage. The overhead bin is OK but I'd hate to see an elderly person trying to get up on the bed to access it.

We brought a lot of additional hangers which was a big help. We also brought suction cups with hooks to hang our washed workout clothes on. We had to hang them off the shower doors as they wouldn't stick to the walls.

Our stateroom attendant was not that good. We were missing a lot of things in our room IE: do not disturb sign, celebrity bag, comment cards, shampoo not being filled etc. We had friends on a different floor who had a much better attendant. I think this is hit and miss on celebrity in the regular rooms. We aren't that fussy so none of it was a big deal. Just saved us a little More money.

The ship is beautiful.Very clean. Very pretty. There is something to see everywhere you turn. Lovely.

We had early seating in the main dining room. We found that 6pm dinner is too early and 8:30 is way too late. I think we will give select dining a go next time. With such a busy itinerary, we felt very rushed to get ready some nights.

The food was really good. I only had a couple of things that I didn't care for and I'm sure that was just a personal taste kind of thing.

Our servers, unfortunately, were not great. They were both extremely friendly and really nice but they made a lot of mistakes. I'm pretty sure they had too many tables to take care of. Again, we are pretty laid back so we didn't get mad, in fact it made us laugh. But it does take away from the experience.

The shows in the evening were hit and miss. Some were pretty good, others terrible. I definitely wouldn't pick Celebrity for the entertainment.

Some of the music piped in around the ship was pretty awful. This didn't bother me to much but it just about drove my friend crazy! I do have to agree that there should never be music in the main dining room or the buffet. It's just too noisy as it is.
I did like that the music was a little louder at the bars. This is how it should be. It's too bad that they don't use Quasar more. There should be some kind of dance party in there every night.

Bar attendants were awesome!There were a few that always remembered what we order. Even in different bars. And we don't drink a lot! One young man asked my husband if he wanted a diet coke everywhere we saw him. And also remembered his name! I was really impressed with all the bar service on this trip.

We ate in Qsine one night. It was a cool experience. I don't know that I would do it again but it was worth it to try it out once. Service was great.

We also ate at the bistro on 5 twice. It was terrific. The food is very good and the service was the best we had at any of restaurants. I would highly recommend going to this one.

We ate most breakfasts and some lunches at the buffet. It has a pretty good selection. Most things I tried were good except the scrambled eggs which looked like a runny mess.

The pools are very nice, if you can get close to them. They really need to crack down on people holding chairs. I sat one day beside a lounge chair for 2 hours with someones stuff on it and never once saw them. People are so selfish.

Speaking of annoying people, I recommend avoiding the elevators if you can help it. We took the stairs 90% of the time and it really cut down on our frustration with other passengers. Come on people! Wait until I get off before you cram in!!! (Mini rant over:))

We had no problems with the Internet. Our devices worked great. Although it's way too expensive.

My husband really enjoyed the glass blowing shows again. This is his favourite thing to do on the ship.

Disembarkation was a nightmare. By the time we got through all the airport stuff we had 15 minutes to wait until they started boarding. I'm pretty sure there was more then a few who would have missed flights. Not a nice way to end a terrific vacation.

This was our favorite trip so far. Great itinerary and great ship. I would highly recommend! Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Inside Stateroom Panorama Deck (9) 1530

Quiet hallway off the beaten path. Closet hard to access because of large couch.

Catamaran Sail, Snorkel and beach cruise The snorkeling wasn't the greatest but the catamaran was fun and the beach was nice. A lot of people enjoyed the rum punch.
Read 801 Antigua Reviews

Snorkeling

(4)
The snorkeling here was great. The park itself would be great for families with children.

Harrison's Cave

(2)
Harrison's cave was a disappointment. It was large but your not really seeing much except big tunnels.

Island Tour

(4)
I really enjoyed Barbados. It's not as poor as some of the other islands. The city tour was nice.

Cave Tour

(3)
Caves and city tour The caves were really good. Very short but worth it. The city tour was a bit of a waste as you can easily make your way through this city on your own.

Seven Sisters Falls Hike We were disappointed in our guide but the hike was really nice. I can't imagine doing this one if it had been wet. It is pretty steep and would be extremely muddy if it had rained in the last few days. A couple had a hard time finishing it and I don't think they would have managed it if it was muddy.
Read 356 Grenada Reviews

Land and Sea to the Pitons The drive was very curvy but the roads were great. The botanical gardens were super pretty. I would have liked a little more time here. The lunch was OK. You get to try some local food. The catamaran and beach was very nice. I would do this excursion again.

Mountain Top Downhill Trek This had a lot of nice views to take pictures. The hike itself was pretty mild and very slow.

Mountain Top Downhill Trek

(3)
There were a lot of nice photo opportunities. The hike itself was pretty mild and very slow.

Coral World Tour

(3)
The semi-submarine was pretty good. I recommend this excursion for people with children. It was a bit boring for 2 adults.