Celebrity Century Cruise Review by Laurarc

Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: 04
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Pleasant enough
I am a well seasoned cruiser but my first on Celebrity. The main focus was to spend time with my family and relax from a stressful job.

Embarkation was a breeze with the online check-in. It literally took me 5 minutes. Our rooms were ready at 2 p.m. also which is a plus and gives you a chance to get settled.

My sister and I had an ocean-view room. It has a large window which is a plus since some cruise lines only has a small port hole. The beds are like sleeping on hay bales so be sure to ask for an egg crate mattress and body pillow ahead of time. I did call ahead and request it with Celebrity customer support but if failed to make it to the sailing. I had to ask twice for it but it made all the difference. The room itself had plenty of storage space and drawers. The bathroom is modest but o.k. The carpet is outdated.

The ship is the oldest in their fleet and smallest. The staff does a great job in keeping it clean. There were constant issues with private and public restrooms as far as functionality. We even had a time when the one in our stateroom wasn't working for an hour or so. I found the maintenance going on at night annoying since it was above our stateroom and banging around at night.

The food was great and our servers, Izzy and Jose, on table 517 outstanding! The executive chef from Miami headquarters was on board to check on food preparation so it might have had a bit to do with the actual preparation. Izzy and Jose were genuinely nice guys, caring, efficient and professional. One night my Mom was taken ill and Izzy allowed me to select items off the main restaurant menu and have it sent to her stateroom rather than room service. Another time I was plenty full from dinner and declined dessert. Izzy knew I loved chocolate and had a piece of cake ready in my stateroom when I returned from the evening entertainment. Don't forget the sidekick, Jose, he never let the water glass get empty, or finished course be taken from the table.

The Cafe is good too. It constantly has a wide variety of selection to choose from like stir fry, salad bar, sushi, pasta and ice cream bar. Don't miss the brunch with ice sculptures and food stations. The afternoon tea is nice too.

The entertainment was status quo and pretty basic - Dancers, magician, comedian, and a singer. The one show you should go to was a Pianist that was incredible. I did find the cocktail tables in the main theatre to constantly be dirty and smeared. The Hemisphere lounge is a great place to sit, read, and watch the vastness of the ocean since it is located at the bow.

If you have to visit the ships hospital it is a comfort to know that Dr. Leonardo and staff are terrific. They do everything possible to get you back up and on your toes to enjoy the cruise. Unfortunately, one of our family members did get the flu and was quarantined for 48 hours. The medical staff constantly checked our family member even after the illness was over. They had room stewards at the room with a wheelchair to assist in transportation to the sickbay for follow up appointments. Meals and beverages delivered to the room during the illness.

The spa is expensive and beware that the last 15 minutes it too try and sell you product you never even asked for and.....is already on your bill!!!! Ouch! They tried to sell me items for over $100!

So all in all the cruise was o.k, and a lot of sea days. It did force this busy gal to rest and catch up on reading.

Publication Date: 03/12/13