Disney Magic Cruise Review by IamAlyce: An adult time on Disney!

IamAlyce
Member Since 2007
3,344 Posts

Compare Prices on Disney Magic Bahamas Cruises

An adult time on Disney!

Sail Date: March 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Galveston

Our eight day cruise on the Disney magic consisted of my self and my husband, both in our mid-50s, no children. We are both huge Disney fans and had been wanting to try a Disney cruise, so when it came to our home port of Galveston and they had an itinerary to Disneyworld plus private island, we decided to book. We were slightly apprehensive as we were not bringing children, and had heard that the Disney cruises had lots of them onboard, but we like children and had also heard about the wonderful adult areas, so decided to go for it! We were very happy we did!
Planning and check in online is super easy, and you can find a lot of information precruise. We have been on numerous cruises on a variety of lines, and I really liked the fact that you got to choose a boarding time, couldn't wait to see how that worked!
Arrival at the port and parking was super easy, our shuttle dropped us right at the terminal, a porter took our bags and we walked right in, passports in hand. Check in More was quick and efficient and we were told our rooms would be ready at 130, and advised where to go for lunch. I had read that there was less chaos and better service at parrot cay, so off we went. You are seated and the main meal is a buffet, but are serviced for your drinks and special request. I follow a gluten free diet so they directed me to a chef and he walked me through what was safe for me, I was also offered GF bread, one of many times. My advice is that I tried it, it is not good! Don't waste your time!! But the GF muffins and pancakes are great, the pizza crust not so great!
After lunch we wandered the ship and at 130 the ropes were removed from the halls, and the cabins were ready! Very nice!
We had cabin 6152, a corner aft with a large balcony. Very nice sized, there is a sofa bed, king sized bed, plenty of drawers, medium sized closet, a cooler, old wall hair dryer, split bath, some bathroom storage, flat screened tv and a desk/vanity.
The upside of the cabin is it is well situated, easy access to both the lido deck, food and drinks, pool, plus the lower decks with the promenade and restaurants. Being at the end of the hall, you get less noise.
The downside is that we were right over the engines and felt every time we would try and get into a port, the day we tried so hard to get into castaway cay we were awakened by 6am with our bed shaking so badly and things falling off our shelves! Also there were a few weird smells like sewage that would creep into the room once in a while, plus every evening around dinner time, we would smell a burning smell for about an hour or so...never could figure that out.
The magic is a beautiful ship, and well kept up, but you can tell it is ready for refurbishing. Disney des a great job though in keeping it clean and fresh looking, at all times we would see workers cleaning, scrubbing, replacing items. The wood gleams and the floors sparkle! Wifi is not that great and I would not recommend wasting your money.
There are three main dining halls and you are on a rotating schedule for them, your waitstaff follows you from DR to DR. This workout well and we had a great team, they were very caring and helpful and a lot of fun! Our seating was second seating and we never felt rushed and enjoyed our meals.
Entertainment was great, in both the shows and the music, the staff really works hard at keeping everyone busy and the shows we attended were first class, lots of things going on throughout the day and evening to enjoy for both kids, families and adults. For a small fee you can enjoy the rainforest in the spa, which includes the thermal chairs, a great place to relax!

Here were some of the things I observed:

Positives:
Managed kids welL kids camp on different level
kids can leave dinner early so parents can have a leisurely meal
Characters all over the ship
Scheduled character breakfast
Separate adult area with music and own pool, hot tubs, coffee shop
Soda/coffee area open and disposable cups with lids available seems most times
Lots of movies and also many stations on flat screen TVs
Towels are large and fluffy
Split bathrooms in deluxe staterooms have small tub with shower
Staff very friendly and helpful
Clock in cabin
Wave phones included
Food allergies are taken very seriously and they work very hard to give you a good food experience

Negative:
On deck, pushing drinks and upsell for waters, etc.
Internet spotty and slow, never saw Internet person, didn't work in rooms
Hair dryers were the old funnel type, didn't really get hot or dry your hair
Clock in cabin was old and no directions on how to use
Only bar soap, although shampoo, conditioner and lotion were good quality.
No Kleenex or hand towels provided in second bath.
Disembarkation was a zoo, all cabins are called at one time and it is a free for all to get off the ship!

Even with the very few negatives, Disney does a wonderful job and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, so much that we booked another cruise while onboard, you s save 10% and receive a credit on that cruise.
Cruise on Disney! Less

Read more Disney Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Magic Deluxe Inside Stateroom Deck Five 6152

Great location, large corner balcony, easy access to all areas, less noise in hallway. Downside was over engines so lots of vibrations when going into ports plus weird smells like sewage and burned (?) off and on during the day.