Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by Jimmy Gimbels: Great ship and crew...but a couple of misses.
Overall Member Rating
Great ship and crew...but a couple of misses.
Destination: Western Caribbean
Royal Suite 6141: Fabulous. Amazingly clean. Amazing room steward (Luis). Great location aft. Plenty of storage space. But, could use more than 10 hangers. Bathroom is very spacious with huge Jacuzzi tub...plus the large balcony has a whirlpool for one...if that person is short. Two huge flat screens. Computer in room plus sound system for your MP3 player.
Bad Business: The ship has a future cruise office. Trouble is: It is never open. A sign tells you to go to a service desk that, apparently, no one staffs either. Guest relations says the sales office is "appointment only" and to register in the appointment book which, you guessed it, is also missing. There are also forms to request "quote for future cruises. "Two forms filled out. No reply from the Cruise Sales Manager.
And now the food...
Bisto on Five ($5 up charge). An undiscovered gem since this wonderful eatery in hidden. Well worth the price...especially at breakfast.
Ocean Liners ($45 up More charge) The premiere specialty restaurant is anything but. Bland dining room lite up like a department store. Slow service...please allow 3 hours for dinner. Food is OK. But if Celebrity is trying to pass Ocean Liner's off as an upscale dining experience, the cruise line is in trouble. My advice: Pass on this place.
Tuscany Grille ($25 up charge). This restaurant is everything that Ocean Liners in not. Greta menu. Great food. Wonderful staff. Well, worth the money. Beautiful room....too bad there is no view since it sits next to the running track and pool deck. An unobstructed ocean view would have made this room a killer. The menu does not say Tuscany but who cares...the food is excellent. I went twice. Attn Celebrity: Why are you doing maintenance at night? A workman was crawling round right outside the window...painting...and shining a very bright flashlight into the room to the annoyance of staff and guests. Shame. Shame. Shame.
San Marco Room (main dining room) Very slow service for "Select Dining"...foor Ok but nothing special.
-Super quick sea pass processing....I was on board in less that 15 minutes after getting out of my cab.
- Easy walk off at conclusion of cruise..I was off the ship, through customs and into a cab in less than 12 minutes. A modern miracle that is for sure.
- Love the fact Celebrity uses airport style luggage carousels...so much better than some cruise lines that just dump your luggage in one big room.
-Seaside Buffet...: always a good selection served by friendly staff. Love the Asian entries. Love the om lets. Love the fact the regular and skim milk is always available.
- Poolside grill serves up the best hamburgers on the high seas. Honest!
- Smoke free casino..it's about time!
-Amazing Captain's Club reception with incredible food
-Super clean ship....the bathrooms are a wonder. Ships is going into dry dock for some remodeling during spring of 2013. For a ship that is 12 years old, it is in wonderful shape and beautifully decorated. The artwork throughout the ship is fantastic.
- Finally, a cruise line gets pizza right. Delicious
- Folk/rock singer Alan Kavanaugh is a joy. Go give him a listen.
-Nice tea service every afternoon in the suites.
- Easy to understand signage makes it a snap to navigate the ship.
-Captains Club Concierge has a "used car saleman" creepiness. I can't figure out if he is jut a jerk or just a homophobe.
- Suite butler: Very cold and indifferent at the beginning of the week but warmed up toward the end of the cruise. I call that " pimping for tips." (Alfred)
-Future sales office never seems to be open.
-Desserts look beautiful but are quite bland.
-Celebrity singers and dancer work hard in the shows. Sets and costumes are top notch. Unfortunately, there is so much reverb that the audience cannot understand a single word. Plus, the sound mix is way off so the music track drowns out the voices. Still, the aerialists are exceptional. Go to the show just for their segment.
- Martini Bar is wonderful place for a drink (or two. That is until this guy shows up at night and beats on his drum and bongos. Just odd.
-Gift shops offer nothing special or unique. You can pass them by without a glance.
- Michael's Bar.: Anca Toma: You truly are a star of the crew. Friendly fast service by a woman with a wonderful sense of humor. Nice room that feels like a grand ocean liner of days past. Again, the room is should have been used for the Ocean Liner restaurant instead of the current, uninspired location.
- Where is the captain and his management team team hiding? Less visible executive team of any cruise line I have been on.
-Be warned: Celebrity sends out scores of emails before department to get you to sign up for specialty restaurants, drink packages, and excursions.
- Tried to order a birthday cake to be delivered to the suite. My call was forwarded three times to different department. I ever did get to order the cake. Less
Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>
Cabin review: RS6141 Royal Suite
Royal Suite 6141: Lots of storage for folded items. Small area for hanging items..only 10 hangers. Nice big deck with a Jacuzzi. Nice bath with "normal" size shower and huge Jacuzzi tube. Two large flat screen TVs. Computer in room but wifi an up charge. Beautifully decorated. Wall mounted sound systems for CDs and cassette tapes. Nice dining area. Good, quite locations...aft.Read All Royal Suite (RS) Reviews >>
Do Not take this cruise
First and maybe last cruise wi...
Empress of the Seas; not the b...
Wonderful Cruise on "Connie"
Another Happy Experience with ...
Celebrity Eclipse to Baltic