Riviera 5

“A Great Ship, and a Great Trip.”
Cruise review of Oceania Riviera

havegunwilltravel
Member Since 2012

Overall Member Rating

We have been cruising with Oceania, and her sister Regent for a number of years. Ships, and service are always great, never a problem, great Butlers, we don't bother with the others except for the Paul G. for Tahiti, and its sister T. Moana in the Caribbean.

Riviera, is a great, no grand ship. I could find no fault with her, except her entertainment which was sub par (check who her contractor is), and the crew transparency, particularly the officers, on the second leg of the cruise was lacking.

We were one of 14 ships ship that got a CDC certified NoroVirus outbreak in 2012. It was pretty obvious what was going on, yet the the staff would say nothing, although towards the end of the cruise, all medical services were free. All four of us, including one who is a doctor got it, and yet they would said it did not exist. It affected the crew, and passengers, and we spent two days restricted to our cabin. The room service was great, as my wife had it, but I didn't More get it until after the trip, on the plane home (not good).

I can't explain why what happen, happened, except that this was the ship's first trip to the US, and they would have to under go both Public Health Service, and Coast Guard review. Three life boat drills in 29 days, I will give them credit for the practice, which is necessary given the really stupid evac procedures on larger ships. Do you really think I am going to sit quietly in the assembly area, and not go to the life boat if the darn ship is going down!!!!

All in all it was a superb cruise, but crew/officer transparency really was bad. They knew they had a virus outbreak, but suppressed it, charging passengers who got sick initially mega bucks for treatment, which I am sure was refunded, at the end. They knew they had a problem yet suppressed it. I had a very heated conversation with the Captain, and Doctor, which resulted in nothing, which leads me to believe that as wonderful as these ships are, they will go to any length to suppress the fact that any thing is amiss. Why don't you just be up front, and say there is a problem?

I love these cruise lines, and have more cruises booked, but if you think I'm getting on a ship with more than 1250 passengers, forget it it. I have been crossing the ocean since 1960, and my parents had to "abandon" the Andrea Doria. So I am a little more sensitive about ship safety than most.

Still cruising, still loving it, but I know where my life jacket, and boat are. Forget the assembly areas, go to the boat, or the crew will beat you to it!!! Less

Riviera Cruises to Transatlantic

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

11004
11010 on Riviera is great. Just behind the officers quarters, so you will know if there is something wrong, and the Bridge, and very close to the executive lounge, and the laundry room

Published 03/10/13

Read Cruise Critic's Riviera Review

Riviera Cruises to Transatlantic

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?