Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by dlstravels: Our First South America Cruise

Our First South America Cruise

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Los Angeles

The Ports we visited where great. The Splendor was run by a bunch of kids that really didn't seem to know what they were doing. We departed Los Angeles over four hours late after waiting in line for hours. Of course they say how sorry they are but that is all they say and they said it a lot on this cruise.

Now let me make it clear I am talking about the Customer Service people and Excursion people. The room service and food service staff did a great job. We didn't require many extras as we didn't eat in the dining room very often and we keep a very neat room. They were very good about taking care of a problem or just answering questions.

Got into first Port of Call late as we departed LA late by the time they got us tendered to shore we only had a few hours not a big deal in Cabo San Lucas. Second port Huatulco, Mexico they seem to be getting their act together.

Guatemala fell apart people had no idea what they were doing or where to go. We had no idea what More buses to get on for our tours. It was not good. The Guatemala people did a great job of getting us on the right buses for our tours and then did great tours.

Then came Ecuador and they seem to be getting it really together. They had made a video for their TV channel played it over and over to tell us what to do when we arrived and how to get to the buses. My wife and I told them the video was great that most people seem to know what they were doing. We told them to keep it up. Let me say they didn't.

There were other little problems that keep coming up that I will not go into details here but let's just say they were sorry a lot.

Now we are going to Santiago, Chile where we will depart the cruise. We had discussed with them a couple of times getting our Passports back. They said no problem it was already arranged. We got a notice to that different decks were to show up at different times. They had it together. I was so wrong.

We showed up for our time and the line was long, long and long through the dining room. It seems they didn't open on time and only had boxes of passports for a couple decks but now had most decks waiting. It took us over an hour just to pick up a passport. There were some very not so nice people. We even had security show up I do not know for sure but we did hear there were some problems.

Again, we are sorry. The final insult was in Santiago. We had a night flight out on American Airlines I was concerned when we were booked on American by Carnival but the flight from Orlando to LA was great on time nice crew. I was surprised. With a night flight we sign up for and all day tour overall a good tour. They had taken our bags that morning and said we would get them back at the airport were they right. All the bags where just out-side the front of the terminal. You had to go waking around hundreds of bags to find yours and you have no idea who had access to them while out on the curb. I would never admit that I didn't have it under my control.

We find our bags go inside the terminal and wow hundreds and hundreds of people everywhere. We start asking where the American Airlines Counter is located. We are told that is the line so we get in it. It is long and I mean long and not to organized but we are there at 6:00 and our flight doesn't depart till 9:50 four hours what's to worry. We made it to the plane by 9:10 over three hours in a line that was crazy to say the least. Many things went on while in this line.

One thing I found out was that American doesn't even open till 7:00 we had to spend an hour in line just to wait for them to open. Hundreds and hundreds of people and they couldn't open. About 8:00 I ask one American Airlines person what if we don't make it up in time to check our bag and get to the plane. He just shrugged his shoulders.

Just too many things wrong with this cruise and flight. We have already booked to go back to South American in January but not with either one of these clowns. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Verandah 8465

8465 is not a bad room. It does have some problems if you are a light sleeper. You are under the adult sun deck and they clean it with a machine at 3:00 in the morning. Then they starting putting out the deck chairs at 6:30 in the morning. After our neighbors starting complaining they moved it up to 7:00. They first try to tell us it was our fellow passengers moving the chairs across the deck at 6:30 am. My neighbor next door got up the next morning went up on deck and it was the Carnival Cruise people no passengers pulling the chairs across the deck so that reason couldn't work any longer.If you are not a light sleeper it is a good room.