Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by RealPisces

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: GS
Cabin Number: U87

Cold but Fun
This was a short family cruise of just the ladies to celebrate two of our birthdays, my sister and I, and our elderly mother and aunt (both in their 80s) came too. We had 2 staterooms, my mother needed a scooter & the Carnival website said scooters had to be parked in the room overnight to charge and they would only fit in accessible rooms. So Mom and Auntie were in an ocean view (a window bigger than a porthole) stateroom (E71) and my sister and I booked a suite (U87). We wanted one stateroom with a balcony so Mom and Auntie could hang out there during the day if they didn't want to go out on the upper deck. Turns out that was a smart move!

E71 was unbelievably small for being accessible. Yes, the door was wide enough to get the scooter into the room but that was as far as it went. The bathroom door was super-sized so you couldn't open or close it with the scooter in the room. The bathroom was extremely small even though it was accessible with grab bars, a roll-in shower, and a fold-down seat. The bathroom floor was slippery once you showered because the water goes everywhere. IF we were to charge the scooter in the room it would have not only blocked their access to the bathroom (let's envision 2 elderly women with no potty access at night...) but more importantly, it would have completely BLOCKED their EXIT out of the room!! Needless to say, we parked it in the hall, told Guest Services we were doing that and they provided us with an extension cord to charge it.

Other thing to note about E71, convenient location on Empress Deck - right around the corner from Guest Services & Lobby Bar. The room is just 2 doors down the hall, so its a busy location. The Lobby Bar played great music all day until late at night. We loved it, Mom and Auntie could hear it all. Good thing they didn't mind the entertainment.

Our suite was fantastic, large room and balcony. Typical small bathroom but you could maneuver in it. I was surprised by lack of free samples that Carnival is known for passing out. We got 2 tubes of toothpaste when we boarded and that was it. Mom & Auntie spent their days in our suite!

As for the ship, I didn't have any complaints about the food--buffets are what they are. Since it was cold out, if the lines were long, all we had to do was go outside and no line. I enjoyed dining during the open dining times, that gives me more flexibility.

My biggest complaint with the ship is the casino. Doesn't Carnival know about the invention of air purifiers? The casino was so hot and smokey! All they need to do is space out air purifiers in there and you would never know that the person next to you is smoking and it would also help keep it cooler in there.

Rather than shows, I used the spa, taking advantage of embarkation day specials. Two extras I also did on-board that were well worth the extra money were the Chef's Table and the Behind the Fun Tour on the last sea day. The Chef's Table ($75) is with the chef & a private party (12 of us I think) that started with a tour of the galley, including champagne and appetizers, proceeding to a 7-course dinner in the library. The dinner service included wine and the presentation of each course was very well choreographed. The food was wonderful. The Behind the Fun Tour ($50) was another group of about 12 people that were taken behind the scenes and shown the bridge, engineering room, laundry facility, food storage and prep areas, and some of the other staff/crew only areas. Lots of interesting facts about the workings of the ship. You must have closed-toe shoes to go on the tour and no cameras. We also had to pass through a metal detector. Lots of walking and stairs. Great if your a trivia nerd or always wanted to know how some of it works!

Publication Date: 03/10/13