Disney Dream Cruise Review by Scott1969

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 4A

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Not Recommend for Couples, Boring Cruise
We don't have children but trying and big fans of Disney. It was my Wife's first cruise and I was looking to make it fun and special. I had high expectations for the cruise and Disney did a good job of meeting most of them. The problem wasn't so much the ship or staff but the people you cruise with. Disney markets their adult areas well. The problem is most times these areas were empty. The Quite Cove was too quite, this may have been due to the very cold weather and you would assume then people would flock to the adult lounges and night clubs. Instead these areas which are beautifully decorated were dead. I figured out the problem on the cruise. Parents with children are just to tired to have fun late at night knowing that they have to get up early with their children.

The Food: I am a foodie and gourmet chef. The food on the ship was terrible at best 2 star. Its over salted and several dishes I couldn't finish. An example, went to the beach BBQ and expected to have a choice of freshly grilled meats. Instead the hamburgers and steaks had been pre-cooked and left in a warmer. The Mahi Mahi had been cooked on the ship and brought to shore. Most of the food on the ship was tasteless and boring. Last May I had taken a Royal Caribbean Cruise on the 2 1/2 star Majesty of the Seas. Their food was much better than Disney. We had room service once, it was just OK and very limited menu.

The Drinks: Disney did a great job on the drinks. The juice for my vodka and orange was real juice unlike the Majesty's drink mix. The mojito's used fresh lime juice, muddled and not pre-mix. The Espresso Martin in the Cove was one of the best I have ever had. The prices were very reasonable, much cheaper then many lounges in my city. Unlike many cruises lines Disney didn't try and nickel and dime you on soft drinks, coffee or tea. They were always available for free.

Their Service: Except the morning of departure Disney's service rivals Ritz Carlton's. The morning of departure we choose to wait until 9am to leave the cabin. At about 7am and for every 15 mins the ships intercom system would blare reminding us that we had to get off the ship by 9:15am. On top of that our room attendant kept knocking on our door from 8am. We were already packed but just wanted to have a nice relaxing breakfast in our room before leaving.

The Room: It was very large, clean and well designed. The round bath tub that so many others have talked about was to small for my Wife who only weighs 104lbs. It would be great for small kids not adults. Another reminder that this is not a cruise for couples.

The Entertainment: The shows where great/amazing for a ship but the lounge acts terrible. I saw one lounge group singer reading the words for a song from a tablet! They were just awful.

The Children & Parents: Not the kind of topic that you are use to seeing in a review? Yet this cruise is designed for them and I felt I should discuss it. For the most part the children were well behaved and parents did a good job. At times though I had to ask children even with their parents standing right next to them not to press all the buttons on the elevator so we stopped at each floor or other minor nuisance caused by poor parenting. When I did, often received a vicious stare from the parent who then corrected the child.

Fellow Adult Cruisers: Boring! Most looked tired, didn't bother to dress up or put make-up on. Very little happiness or joy from most of my fellow adults. Luckily the children loved the cruise and they made up for their boring parents.

Someday we will take a Disney cruise again but as a parent. It is an awesome experience for a family and kept thinking the whole cruise our children would love it. I highly recommend for family's.

Publication Date: 03/09/13