Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by njaloha: Out of Winter and into WARMTH!

njaloha
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Western Caribbean Cruises

Out of Winter and into WARMTH!

Sail Date: January 2013

This trip was our second time on the Silhouette and we had another great time. Because of my husband's limited mobility, we basically use the ship as our destination. We are creatures of habit and often return time and again to the same vacation destination, whether it's a vacation beach home, vacation club destination or a cruise ship. Returning to the Silhouette gave us the feeling of returning home.

We are in our mid-50's and live in Northern NJ, and we love to cruise without our now grown kids because it gives us a chance to be by ourselves and reconnect after 20 years of raising, focusing on and vacationing with them, which is the way it should be.

We arrived the day before the cruise and checked into the Embassy Suites 17th street with views of Port Everglades. The place was buzzing with people either getting ready to cruise the next day or having just gotten off a cruise that day. The hotel never felt crowded even though we knew the place had to be fully More booked. We had a nice meal at the restaurant before turning in for the night.

The comfortable room had a balcony with views of the port and the 8 ships waiting for passengers. Between the sunset and the sunrise, and views of planes taking off at the airport, the location was perfect.

The next morning, we thought breakfast would be crazy but it wasn't. People about to embark on a cruise tend to eat and get going quickly so finding a table wasn't a problem.

Shuttle vs. Taxi to port - We had never done this before, so we asked at the front desk about taxis to the port and we were told to make a reservation for the shuttle since it cost about the same. We were told to get a reservation for the 2pm shuttle but I thought that would be late. Turns out it really doesn't matter when you reserve, because they always find room for you. We were tired of sitting around the room so I called downstairs and was told to come down now. However, even though the lobby was crowded, they have this shuttle thing down to a science and before we knew it the lobby cleared out and we were next. Off to the ship. I think that was around noon and we were on the ship by 1:15.

This to me is the most amazingly coordinated effort on the part of the porters and van drivers and taxis, etc. Pull up to Porter, pull out luggage from the back of shuttle, hand to porter who piles it on cart and off we go. It's a bit of a walk to the terminal from where we were dropped off and for many that wouldn't seem like a big thing but for a man with two osteoarthritic knees it was farther than he wanted to walk. Thankfully, we had Aqua Class tickets so we didn't wait much at all on the security check line or the check in line to get our sea passes. Another long walk to the escalators and then to the gangway and then on the ship.

Our cabins were ready shortly after we sat down at Cafe Il Bacio so we finished up our snack and headed up to check it out. We booked an accessible AQ because of the rental scooter we needed for my husband. The cabin size worked perfectly . We were able to maneuver very easily. The cabin was big enough for my husband to move the scooter around and do a k turn to face out. The bed is in the middle with a 1/2 couch in the corner by the door. The cabin is 1/2 size bigger than standard with a balcony size again 1/2 size bigger. The furniture on the deck was comfortable but the desk chair and couch were not.

Storage is limited to a dresser/closet with no over-the-bed storage. The only real complaint that was a total surprise was that the door didn't lock. That creeped me out a bit but I guess that's for safety reasons. The bathroom is very roomy with a roll in shower. We did what everybody does and threw down some towels to keep leakage onto the floor at a minimum.

Ship: Beautiful, always clean, smooth sailing, not a bump or complaint.
Food: BLU! Need I say more? Awesome. One night we had lobster tail cooked in a way I'd never expect - over a bed of spinach and served with mandarin oranges.
Lawn Club Grill - waited until last Sea Day for 50% off offered to AQ and suite guests. We met another couple on the ship and had a lovely lunch. They let us stay and talk well after closing, until 4pm. Wonderful meal.
Entertainment: We went to one show, it was very good. We spent most evenings after dinner at the Molecular Bar. Quiet and out of the way but still part of the festivities. I wandered down to the Martini Bar one night while Hubby stayed at the Molecular Bar. Chaos noise and crowds (all having fun but not what I wanted). You must try the Molecular bar, great cocktails using herbs and fresh fruit essences and ingredients.
Pool: Here's what I like about this ship, there's something for everyone. Laid back and quiet if you want it or in your face crazy entertainment and activities if you want that. We spent a lot of time at the adult pool. I preferred it to the outdoor loud crazy pool. Hubby opted to sit with me and swim in the outdoor pool. He spent a lot of time there and heard a great Mariachi band on our cruise away from Cozumel.
Alcoves - fully booked on last sea day.

That's it. The only bad thing that happened was that on the day before disembarkation, our liquor box didn't show up so I called guest relations and to make a long story short, the cabin steward thought we had accused him of stealing it. Never in a million years would we do that, we just wanted to let someone know we hadn't gotten it yet and it was 9:30pm. They ended up finding it and delivering it.

Disembarkation - long walk to terminal building left hubby's knees barking so we found a porter to help us through the mobility challenged line. In taxi to the airport in no time, again, these people do this for a living and it shows. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette

We booked an accessible AQ because of the rental scooter we needed for my husband. The cabin size worked perfectly. I believe it's sky suite sized. We were able to maneuver very easily. The cabin was big enough for my husband to move the scooter around and do a k turn to face out. The bed is in the middle with a 1/2 couch in the corner by the door. The cabin is 1/2 size bigger than standard with a balcony size again 1/2 size bigger. The furniture on the deck was comfortable but the desk chair and couch were not. Storage is limited to a dresser/closet and shelves in night stands with no over-the-bed storage. We had no problem finding a place for everything. The only real complaint that was a total surprise was that the door didn't lock. That creeped me out a bit but I guess that's for safety reasons. The bathroom is very roomy with a roll in shower. We did what everybody does and threw down some towels to keep leakage onto the floor at a minimum. Overall we were happy with our cabin, great location, some overhead noise in the morning but we were always up anyway. The cabin steward was a little aloof but tried hard to be nice. No towel animals. :(

(5.5)
I want to live there. - gorgeous. we rented a cabana for the day which was a good idea since it was breezy. I love this place. We justified the cost of the cabana because a) we only booked one tour the entire trip and 2) we shared it with another couple who we met on board and needed a safe place for their stuff while they snorkeled and kayaked. Even though the weather was chilly and windy the sun was strong. The cabana sits in a private area with a view of the ship and tenders moving back and forth and gives you an expanded delicious buffet lunch with lamb, shrimp, steak, chicken salads, and desserts. again, i could have stayed all day. I did take the opportunity to walk the length of the island and it's truly lovely. amazing. beautiful.
Read 231 CocoCay Reviews

We didn't leave the terminal shops area. The same shops with the same stuff over and over. We did buy tequila. and a few blankets. But the creepiest part was the hawkers at the bottom of the stairs to what I thought was a mall but it turned out to be individual small stores. I went up with a guy which I thought was weird and he led me to a "store" where he offered me a free charm. No way was I touching anything thinking it could have been laced with some drug. I hightailed it out of there and found my husband lickety split. Never going back.
Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

I gave this a four because the new mall is wonderful, clean and festive looking. Beyond that, creepy barbed wire fencing kept out the riff raff. yikes. And Jamaica in general deserves a 1.
Read 479 Falmouth Reviews

Island Tour

(1)
Grand Cayman Island tour and Tiki Beach - well, whatever, don't know what to say. The tour took us to some tower thing which was in the middle of some underdevelopment residential and commercial area. The guide took us the long way to the "tower" passing shops (for obvious reasons) and at one point I asked how much longer the walk would be because my husband was having a hard time. The guide said, You paid 120 dollars, I suggest you stay with me." Talk about arrogant. We turned around and sat down to have lunch. We were on the bus waiting for the last couple and we left 20 minutes late because the last couple thought we were leaving at a different time. Tiki beach looked nice but you couldn't swim because of the reef. Never again. Not to mention we were kept waiting for 45 minutes at the pier for the tour to start. Shop the guy said. yeah right and then the tour leaves without us. no way. We ended up taking a shuttle back to the ship early because we suddenly realized we'd be getting back at 4pm. A tour that starts at 11am and is listed as 4 hours should get back at 3pm. Next time, if there's a next time, I'll take the sting ray tour. Friends did that and loved it.