Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by JoeFixes

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by JoeFixes
Navigator of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Member Name: JoeFixes
Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: D2
See More About: Navigator of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

It was nice. Not great...but nice
You can never blame the cruise line for the weather. That being said I will probably not sail out of New Orleans again. We have always sailed out of Florida ports and Florida is always warm...even in February. But New Orleans was cold and drizzly. Just yucky. We were in NOLA 2 days before to take in some sites and enjoy the local flavor. It is a great fun and historic city, I would have enjoyed it more if it was warmer. But like I said, no one's fault.

We arrived at port around noon and were on the boat by 12:15. They had an awful lot of stations to get you processed quickly. I counted roughly 35 attendants. The boat is beautiful. We were on the Independence a few years ago and they are both very similar. It was shorts weather the day we left though. I was anxious for the boat to get moving to a warmer climate.

The itinerary called for 2 days at sea, 3 days in port and 1 day at sea going back to New Orleans. Sunday, the first day at sea, it was a bit warmer, but the winds on the pool deck were ferocious and I probably got more windburn than sunburn. The weather didnt really start to warm up until Monday though, the 2nd day at sea. Once we got to the Caribbean the weather was wonderful. The 3 ports are all fine and I think what you do while in port is a matter of personal preference. The first port was Falmouth Jamacia and it really is a nice little port, but it appears to be new and there was a lot of contruction still going on. And the area just outside the port is non-exisitent, so you really needed transportation to get around if you wanted to leave the little port area.

Grand Cayman is an awesome port and so is Cozumel. The thing with Cozumel though is that they have a few different cruise terminals and it seems as though the Disney ships get the better terminal. Punta Langosta. Thats really where you want to be when you go to Cozumel. I had to take a taxi to get there from the International Pier.

Regarding the ship and the food and the service. The service on the ship is awesome, you cannot complain about that. But the food. We didnt go to any of the specialty restaurants. We ate in the main dining room every night. The food is good. Not great, not memorable, not stupendous. The idea of going on a cruise to get amazing food is long gone I think. UNLESS! UNLESS you want to pay the extra money and go to a specialty restaurant. There was a time when you could go on a cruise and every dinner would be the top quality amazing memorable meal that now you can only get if you pay for dinner. That saddens me quite a bit. And I get it too....I mean how can they justify giving the same amazing meal to the ones that are paying extra in the specialty restaurants to the people who are not paying in the main dining room. So the food in the dining room while it is certainly better than any meal i might cook for myself at home is not amazing and memorable like you want oon a cruise. None of it. The last cruise I took that had amazing memorable food was on the Disney Magic in 2003. Since then if you want a memorable meal, you should plan to pay extra and go to one onf the specialty restaurants on board.

One more note about food, and I made a point of talking about this in my review about the Independence of the Seas. The juice they serve in the morning at the Windjammer should not be called juice. In fact it should not even be consumed by anyone. It is truly horrid

and not only is it different every day, it is different from glass to glass. If you grab 3 glasses of OJ from the serving area in the Windjammer each one will taste differently and all 3 should be thrown away. They give you these horrible juices because if you want something really good, you have to pay $3.95 per glass to get it....I didnt do that, but I would bet it would be real good if I did.

We lost pool day on the last at sea day because it was so cold as we sailed back to New Orleans. No one was at the pool. No one. Not a soul, when usually on an at sea day you cant get a chair by the pool. It was in the 50s. and in New Orleans when we got back is was 48°.

So like others who also reviewed this cruise, it was okay. Nothing great. We may also try a different cruise line next time.

Publication Date: 03/07/13